Good but can be better as well!

Posted by Supplementsdiy on Apr 15, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Astaxanthin is one of the best supplements to take. Known as the king of carotenoids, it is a powerful antioxidant that can be readily enter the blood brain barrier to protect the brain and prevent neurodegenerative diseases, greatly increase athletic performance and stamina and shorten recovery time, increase eye vision and protect the eye from UV light, protect skin from sunburn (unusual benefits), anti inflammatory, halt cancer growth, improve immune system, never becomes pro-oxidant (even vitamin C can become oxidant), prevent cardiovascular diseases, alleviates carpal tunnel syndrome, joints pain, protects against UV light and others! Personally, the most felt effect is the improvement in athletic performance. I felt that I can tolerate the pain when running at fast constant speed for much longer distance. After exercising, the body is less likely to ache as well. Another important benefit is the prevention of sunburn. I have fair skin and tend to get sunburn easily. After taking Astaxanthin, I can last long hours under the sun without getting burn. Most people will need to take 2-3 softgels (8-12 mg daily) for maximum benefits. Astanxanthin used to be a lot cheaper before appearing on TV (Dr Oz). Prices have increased quite a lot but this isn’t too expensive. The softgel is made of gelatin (not for vegetarians), small and easy to swallow. Note that Astaxanthin inhibits nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is needed in body but can be harmful if produced in excess. It works as a vasodilator and it is important in men’s penile erections as well. I have tried dosing at 20mg daily and it does affect penile erection. I do not eliminate that the fact that this can be placebo which seems highly unlikely. Generally, it’s best to just stick to lower dosages. It used to be the cheapest per mg but not longer. Check out my page for more reviews!

four stars

Posted by TinVal on Aug 17, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Works pretty well as antioxidant and worth buying for testing the benefits but as a whole it is overprices supplement. I give 4 stars.

The hit product to try right now

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 06, 2013 | Verified Purchase

After few weeks of using this I felt my eyesight dramatically improve. I also feel more energetic overall. Still waiting for the summer to test its effect against sunburn.

value for money

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 03, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I have a few health issues going on which leave me with little energy--but Since taking astaxanthin I have noticed higher energy levels.Also not getting sunburnt but have lovely tan. Eye health has also improved

Differant brands make a differance.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 20, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I got terrible heart palpitations from the "Now" brand of astaxanthin. This one is natural as it says on the front. I am taking it for eye health. To early to tell,but no heart palpitations..phew !

improved vision and cholesterol levels, but contains soy

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 04, 2017 | Verified Purchase

4Mar17: My father and I have been taking Healthy Origins 4mg astaxanthin with food each day. I noticed my vision had improved after one month - everything appears much clearer especially while driving at night. Dad's triglycerides and HDL (the "good" cholesterol) improved as well: around 1 mmol/L and 1.5 mmol/L, respectively. We had not changed anything else in our diet, so I would think it is due to the astaxanthin, which appears to be consistent with what I have read online. I have read other benefits of astaxanthin, but I personally recommend this product for better vision and improved triglycerides/HDL levels. EDIT 19Jun17: This product contains soy and I recently found out that only fermented soy is good for you. Experts say that unfermented soy contains phytoestrogens which mimic estrogen in the body and is not good for your health - it gives men feminine characteristics and for women, hormone imbalance which may potentially give cancer, amongst other things. I was happy with this product and had originally given 5 stars, but will now try another brand that does not contain soy. I hope Healthy Origins will exclude soy from this product.

Eye health

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 03, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I have eat that astaxhantin about half year and i dont have any eye problems anymore. Before astaxanthin i had problems with my eyes about three years.

Good stuff,good price

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 27, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I see noticeable improvement in my blood pressure.

guess I have possitive change on my vision

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 11, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I took 4mg/ 2 times a day for 20 days, & I got less dry eyes. No obvious change on my skin texture yet, will continue but cut down to 4mg/day after one month.

Healthy Origins, Astaxanthin, 4 mg. 150 softgels

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 22, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Having read the recent releases from sources such as Dr. Mercola, this is a supplement that I quickly added to my daily regimen. At first, I could only find smaller quantity bottles available locally (30 ct). I like this brand because it is a good dosage size and the count is higher. Also, it has good reviews for content (real Astaxanthin, not artificial like what they feed to salmon).