Works for me

Posted by iHerb Customer on January 6 2011 | Verified Purchase

I've had on and off depression for 5 years now. It was a little over a year ago that the depression came back along with anxiety and for over a year now I've been having constant depression + anxiety and for anyone that experiences daily 'body low' feelings along with chest tightness, it's unbearable and very stressful on the mind + body. I chose not to go on antidepressants years ago, even when it was highly suggested by doctors that I start taking antidepressants I refused. I decided to give St Johns Wort a try and that did help but I had to stop taking it, due to complications. I decided to give 5-htp a shot and first tried the NOW FOODS brand after hearing / reading so many positive reviews about 5-htp itself and I tried it for over a month and my friend also tried it with me but we both experienced the same effects... up moods followed by comedowns. I didn't want to give up on 5htp as I really wanted to believe that it did work, like it did for many others. I started taking this brand for a month and started to notice the effects after a few weeks. I was able to handle my emotions much better and the anxiety / depression lifted and it was so so relieving to finally feel 'normal' again after dealing with terrible daily anxiety / depression for over a year, untreated. A few weeks ago I started skipping the the 5-htp, due to forgetting and probably feeling too good to realize that I still needed it. Quite unexpectedly, I started to feel anxious again and the depression came back and I was confused and feeling like I did before, a feeling I didn't want to experience again. I started taking the 5-htp immediately and after a few days I lost the anxiety and depression and now I am feeling calm. I don't usually write reviews but from my experience, I really want others to give this product a try if they are wondering whether they should or not. The NOW FOODS brand did absolutely nothing for me, but this works wonders and I can't tell you how good it feels to feel calm and to have a positive outlook. If this brand doesn't work for you, try another brand. But I can say that this brand is excellent, and works for ME. Life changing.

Love It!!!

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 11 2008 | Verified Purchase

I have been taking Jarrow Formulas 5HTP for about 3 years. It helps me sleep and raises the seratonin level in my brain which wards away depression. I recommend this product for anyone wanting a good nights sleep all the way to severe depression.

Solid Value

Posted by iHerb Customer on November 25 2008 | Verified Purchase

I struggle with depression. I have used St. John's Wort for several years now and it has been very helpful. Recently stressors increased in my life so much that I needed something with the St. JW. This product has been extremely useful. I take 300 mg/day (100 3xs/day)as per the reasearch dosage and it has kept the black despair at bay which allows the St.JW to alleviate my mood. As I can not afford other avenues for health care re: this disease I am extremely grateful for this product.

Jarrow is the best brand of 5HTP

Posted by iHerb Customer on January 3 2007 | Verified Purchase

I have tried several different brands of 5HTP and Jarrow is the best by far. The cost is a little higher, but definately worth. iHerb also has the best price for this product that I have found.

Now foods is better

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 30 2013 | Verified Purchase

I usually like Jarrow, but I can't feel their 5HTP working at all. I buy the NOW Foods 5HTP on the other hand and I can feel a clear difference.

jarrow 5htp

Posted by iHerb Customer on December 5 2007 | Verified Purchase

does not cause the nausea that natrol's 5 htp gave me

Great for mood and sleep and more

Posted by iHerb Customer on September 14 2011 | Verified Purchase

Helps mood and sleep. I've even noticed increased learning/attention abilities. I am also more positive and less agitated. I have a theory that those with damaged digestion/GI are going to have problems/shortage of 5-HTP since most is manufactured in the gut. Also since taking 5-HTP I've noticed better bowel movements since 5-HTP helps with peristalsis. Still playing with the dose. Sometimes I take one at night, sometimes 1 in the morning and night. I've noticed that the Jarrow version is much more potent than other brands. As usual Jarrow is very high quality.

Change in life perspective

Posted by iHerb Customer on November 19 2011 | Verified Purchase

Recommended to me by my nutritionist. I take these in combination with Theanine and SAM-e 200. I was suffering from low moods and depression, as well as decreased focus and attention. Taking these tablets has changed my life. My mood is now consistent and good, I have focus, I'm able to think "clearer," and feel mentally better than I have in years. Did much more for me than a lot of therapy ; ) I was prescribed anti-depressants at one point. So glad I resisted. One round of visits to a nutritionist and all better, naturally and healthily!

Helped with headaches

Posted by iHerb Customer on October 27 2011 | Verified Purchase

Didn't help much with depression, but it helped my migraine and tension headaches a little (along with prayer of course!). I just took it when I felt a headache coming on. Felt a little flushed when I took more than one, so please don't over do it.

Good for Migraines

Posted by iHerb Customer on December 16 2015 | Verified Purchase

I heard this is good for chronic migraines. I am trying it out. It does have a relaxing effect. I have been trying it for two weeks. I like it. If this review helped you, please click like below. Vegan/cruelty free/Natural living product !!