Essential if you have Fibromyalgia or Depression

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 16, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I was using l-tryptophan (3 grams a day) and it did not help my depression/anxiety. When I switched to this 5-htp it was amazing. I started at 100mg, 3X a day along with 1000 mg L-tyrosine ( 3X day) for one week. Then I went to 5 -htp 100 mg, 4X a day with 1000mg tyrosine, 3X day and withing 3 days at this dosage I felt like myself again and do not feel depressed at ALL! Love that it is enteric coated so no stomach irritation. Take on an empty stomach. Don't forget to add a coenzymated b complex supplement at breakfast and vitamin C. And add extra folate in the form of methylfolate (Solgar brand) as it helps make serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamie.

Great Product!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 23, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This is one of the types of 5-HTP recommended by Michael Murray, N.D. in his book, 5-HTP. It does not upset the stomach because it breaks down in the intestinal tract. I have noticed almost immediately a difference in the way I felt, and have overcome my depression fits completely without the aid of antidepressants. I sleep soundly and have been able to control my appetite to the point that I am losing weight! Great product!

better than antidepressants

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 02, 2008 | Verified Purchase

this is great for mood stabilization and sleep. I have turned my friends onto it. Key is patience and the correctdosage. I started taking 2 three times a day but am now down to 1 in the morning and 2 at night.

great 5-htp product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 23, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I've used this for sleeplessness with good results. I take it at or after dinner and i can fall asleep at the right time. It seems to help with mood and weight control too. This brand seems consistently good quality and the enteric coating works.

Improves sleep

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 07, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This is the precursor to serotonin. It really helps improve the quality of my sleep.

Excellent

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 25, 2015 | Verified Purchase

I've tried a few brands and this one is the best. I usually take 50 mg but even cut in half, therefore making its enteric coating redundant, this tablet doesn't hurt my stomach. It really is an excellent way to keep your serotonin levels healthy. But don't take too many as cortisol rises with serotonin, so if you push the boundaries you'll end up sleepy and stressed (ie heart pounding, body under stress) at the same time! That's what happens to me if I take more than I need.

Well worth it

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 04, 2012 | Verified Purchase

My husband and I having been taking 100mg 5-HTP for a few months now and not only has it helped us come off antidepressants without tumbling into despair it has been a wonderful alternative to being on them at all. The enteric coated tabs prevent any tummy troubles and we've both found taking 100mg at bedtime gives us a good night sleep with no 'hangover' in the morning. When we took them during the day we did feel very sleepy - if anxiety or hyper-arousal was an issue this might be useful but we find it hard to get going at the best of times! When "Life" gets a bit tough - we up the dose with the 50mg tabs which seems to flatten out the bumps quite well - some bumps are unflattenable but at least we've got the goods to face it head on and not be crushed by the thought of tackling the big stuff. We both found on anti-depressants that we were in a 'chemical straight-jacket' and far too many 'whatevers' were being mumbled and way too many things went through to the keeper that should of been addressed - we're now in the process of 'mopping up' from a lot of that non-decision making.... I will NEVER go back on anti-depressants again now that I have found a reliable and real alternative. If you're at the point of knowing you need help but aren't really wanting to start on the antidepressant merry-go-round DEFINTELY give 5-HTP a fair go, I wish I'd known about it before I filled the Cymbalta script!!!

Crawford Family

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 09, 2008 | Verified Purchase

We've found this product to be great at reducing anxiety levels and helping with sleep with no side effects. This works much better than any prescription for anxiety!

This is an excellent product for mood stabilization, sleep, suppressing appetite. This is the precursor to serotonin...

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 04, 2014 | Verified Purchase

After 7 years taking antidepressants, which made me feel like a zombie, constantly tired most of the time, to many side effects from the meds, i came cross a video on youtube, john gray 5htp watch?v=wltfQ4qOA8Q, this is an excellent product for mood stabilization, sleep, suppressing appetite. This is the precursor to serotonin...

Help Falling to Sleep

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 05, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I use this product as part of my nightly cocktail, to combat a sleep disorder. I've also recommended it to friends, who report that it helps them to fall asleep. I also use time release 5-HTP, which helps me to STAY asleep longer.