Too potent extract - warning

Posted by eleuthero on Jul 16, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Be careful with this one. It is standardized to 4,5% withanolides per capsule which is equal to ~10 grams of the whole herb - already over the common recommended daily dosage. It can have tranquilizing and hypnotic effect with two capsules. After quitting long-term (couple of months) use of this in recommended doses I had withdrawal symptoms similar to quitting benzodiazepines. It is a powerful herb especially when extracted so strongly. Use only when really needed (stressful times, occasional sleep aid) and not for too long periods continuously. I find half or even 1/3 of a capsule effective. It seems that consuming food/carbohydrates bring out the effects faster. I gave 1 star just to make my warning more noticeable. This is still quality supplement but has to be used with caution.

Talk to your Doctor Before Taking Ashwagandha

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 26, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Had immediate negative side effects after taking one dose including rapid heartbeat, chills, lack of coordination, insomnia, bad dreams, and panic. Overall a very bad experience and ended up throwing the unused product away. Other reviews on the internet have also indicated negative side effets, talk to your doctor before taking this product.

I was allergic to this herb.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 08, 2014 | Verified Purchase

It's not the herbs fault! But, after much research it turns out this is a very common thing with this particular herb. Be careful if you have any sensitivities whatsoever. I have never been allergic to any herbal supplement before so, it was rather scary. I was itching uncontrollably!

Negative experience

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 26, 2011 | Verified Purchase

When I took this with the Bacopa, I had difficulty breathing and almost passed out. Did not try to take it on its own.

severe heartburn...

Posted by HruChn on Oct 16, 2008 | Verified Purchase

severe heartburn...

This product made me itch

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 25, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Within 45 minutes of using this product I began to itch like crazy. I had to take Benadryl to control it. I am grateful that I now use Maca from the company NOW and it works wonders.

No good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 05, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This didn't seem to help me with stress at all. I only took 2 of these, and it actually seemed to make me more stressed!

No effect

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 21, 2008 | Verified Purchase

After reading how this herb was beneficial for stress, low libido, decided to try it, and so far have felt no benefit in either.

No effect

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 11, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Was hoping that this would help with stress and anxiety levels as well as sleep, but I haven't noticed any changes or effects from taking this. Otherwise, NOW Foods is a great brand.

placebo