Caution for hypothyroid, low blood sugar and immune dysfunction - B1 is an iodine, magnesium and manganese antagonist

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Dec 24, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Vitamin B1 - iodine, magnesium, manganese and copper antagonist (among others) - all in some way essential for thyroid/endocrine health. High doses of B1 can therefore lead to: immune dysfunction, hypothyroidism if iodine intake is inadequate; hypothyroid/low blood sugar if manganese intake is inadequate - especially when combined with higher intakes of other less-obvious iodine/manganese antagonists such as niacin, B6, magnesium, calcium, vit C, boron, etc. Additionally, B1 is an essential cofactor for transketolase - suggest caution for people who take medications that also upregulate transketolase (e.g. asthma steroids), because more B1 may lead to depletion of other co-factors and essential nutrients (e.g. EFA's), creating a nasty catch-22 situation. B1 is also mildly anticholinergic - something to be mindful of, because for some people that can be an issue. High intake of B1 is also likely to cause/contribute to bad armpit BO. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

B1 taken with Benfotiamine (B1) works a treat !

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 11, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I take this B1 (water soluble) together more importantly, with Benfotiamine(fat soluble B1) for years and it really does work ! I am a type 2 diabetes sufferer with all the usual complications including kidney and nerve damage. I can definately say that it helps tremendously with my peripheral neuropathy. no more tingling, numbness, burning feeling with the hands and feet.Also read R&D university Reports that it may also help with diabetic kidney damage. I take 3xBenfotiamine and 2xB1 a day. It works for me !

Now Foods B1

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 14, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I have Hashimoto's i.e. hypothyroidism which is accompanied by low stomach acid. B1 helps with formation of stomach acid. I feel less tired since I've been taking B1 daily.

Very good stuff

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 16, 2007 | Verified Purchase

Little known fact that B-1 can successfully be used to greatly help anxiety and panic. Anxiety and panic has been shown to be caused by a sensitivity to lactic acid and B-1 does wonders at lowering lactic acid levels. But the key is to take mega doses of 1500mgs or more per day. I just wish NOW had a 500mg tablet.

Nightmares

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 01, 2013 | Verified Purchase

My 4 year old was having horrible nightmares each night. I did some googling and it was suggested that nightmares were caused by a B1 deficiency. I started giving my son 1 of these each night, and no more nightmares! He now sleeps through the night, no midnight wakings, no more fear of going to bed, and no more crawling in with us, scared about horrible dreams. Thanks iHerb, from a much happier, and well-slept, family!

Now Foods, B-100mg, 100 tablets

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 17, 2010 | Verified Purchase

For a week, I took the Now Foods 100mg B1 tablets in dosages of 1/2 tablet, i.e. 50 mg per day; I am now taking them in dosages of 1/4 tablet, i.e. 25 mgs per day for ankle edema and peripheral neuropathy in my feet related to thiamine deficiency. Correcting thiamine deficiency orally takes some weeks; however, both my edema and my foot pain are significantly improved. I will continue to take them long-term to avoid recurrence. I have generally been very satisfied with Now Food products; this one is no exception.

Use it for more energy.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 27, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I feel better when I take this supplement although I do not take it every day. I take it especially when I am going out to a social event. I've noticed it helps make me more sociable.

Anti-stress

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 03, 2012 | Verified Purchase

It's very good to keep calm.....in any case!

just started

Posted by burdypie on May 19, 2011 | Verified Purchase

suggested by the book The Life Diet, for resistant thyroid,I've added these to my multi B intake, helping carb. processing,energy,whistle cracks on top lip, whiteheads...tons of things, but shouldn't be taken without a multi B backup, as B vitamins are synergistic...

Effective

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 21, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Delivers B-1 into the system, which is important for the structure of nerve cells.