Caution! Serious problem with this product!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 03, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have purchased NOW INULIN for many years and recommended it almost as long in classes I teach on natural treatment for osteoporosis. Taking mineral supplements simultaneously with INULIN doubles the absorption of minerals. Two years ago, I purchased 10 bottles of NOW INULIN from iherb as usual, but the product I received was all damaged. The smooth sweet taste and white, easily dissolved texture were gone and replaced by a strong scorched taste, light brown color, low solubility and disaggreeable gut symptoms on ingestion. I notified iherb, and I contacted NOW, eventually reporting to their "quality control" department. So far, so good. I am a chemist by profession, and deal with chemical manufacturers constantly. Things go wrong. In this case, it's very simple. Inulin is a very simple product. Grind up the root, dry the mash to produce a powder. If it's scorching, the drying temperature is too high. Control the drying temperature. Inulin is also a very, very cheap product. It is a common ingrediant in animal feeds because adding it improves the absorption of mineral supplements so that expensive additives are maximized by adding a very inexpensive product. Only a tiny amount of inulin produced in this country ends up in pretty little bottles for human consumption. And cows don't complain that the root is burnt. But my product was not replaced or refunded, several purchases of multiple lots over the last two years have all been scorched, also not replaced or refunded. Inulin purchased from other brands have been normal. I made my last purchase a month ago, still damaged. This is a manufacturer without effective quality control procedures and indifferent corporate behavior. I've had to recommend other sources for two years, but after two years I have to now change my approach to this problem. Knowingly selling a burnt product is a bigger problem than failed quality control. It may certainly be ineffective as intended by the user. Far worse, burnt product is on some level toxic. "Browning" is unmistakeable evidence of maillard products, which are inflammatory chemicals that are permanently deposited in vulnerable tissues like retina, joints, artery, etc. Small amounts are produced in the body naturally, but far greater amounts are produced by hazardous cooking methods. Accumulation of these products signficantly speeds up aging. I vigorously avoid cooking methods that produce these chemicals, and do not want to consume them from irresponsible manufacturers. I can no longer purchase NOW INULIN, but I must also question any product from a manufacturer demonstrating indifference on this level for this long.

It is burned!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 13, 2015 | Verified Purchase

It tastes so bad!So different from Jarrows!I will not buy Nows inulin any more.Just Jarrows that tastes like heaven.I am sure it is matter of a quality.Burned inulin is not good quality inulin.Do not waste your money like I did.Spend some ekstra money and buy Jarrows.I guarantee you will be satisfied with Jarrows.The best ever!

hated this

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 10, 2011 | Verified Purchase

this gave my migraine headaches for days. I didn't believe this was the reason so I stopped taking it for 2 days....when I resumed my migraine came back. Stopped taking for good and no more migraines...however it did eliminate hunger.

Now Inulin Tasted Sour

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 01, 2013 | Verified Purchase

This 2nd bottle I purchased tasted sour instead of the sweet taste from first bottle. I'm discarding it. I am not sure if the manufacturer is even aware of the problem or whether the current batch still has the same problem. What a disappointment!

Cause of pain

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 11, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Pain in my intestine after taking this product. Scared me off.

Terrible product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 24, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I bought it to try since it is cheaper than Fiber Sure. It doesn't disolve well and cakes into sticky blobs. I am going back to paying the higher price for Fiber Sure -

Now Foods, Inulin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 18, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I took this for a few days, I got a terrible headache that stayed with me and felt sick the whole time I was on it. Would not take again.

Now Foods, Inulin, Certified Organic

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 29, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Even taking small doses gradually, I had stomach pains. I will return to the product i use before

Don't help at all, hardens easily with moisture

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 03, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Absolutely no effect on me and hardens into chips with moisture in the air

didn't feel any difference...

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 10, 2010 | Verified Purchase

didn't feel any difference...

1 2