Gives me diarrhea - metalloestrogen - caution for use with abnormal immune system

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Mar 21, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Have tested multiple times - side effect is unpleasant and no other benefits derived. I note with interest one major study that showed selenium supplementation on its own actually *increased* risk for breast cancer and how other studies failed to mention this outcome. High doses of selenium antagonise vit D, manganese, magnesium, zinc, chromium, sulfur - all essential for endocrine health and/or thyroid function and/or reducing disease/inflammation. Also interesting the number of people who gravitate to the selenium/sulfur combos vs sodium selenite or sodium selenate. I've tried four different kinds of selenium - Selenomethionine, Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine, Sodium Selenite and Sodium Selenate. While this one (selenomethionine) at least offers a more realistic dose and is easier to cut tablets in half for a fifty microgram serving, I wonder re the number of people noting physiological benefits I'd be more inclined to attribute to the sulfur. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

works great, fair price

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 24, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I find this to be a good selenium supplement for thyroid support. It defiently does has been helping along with other suplements. These tablets disolve easily as they pass my 'tablet disolving test' with flying colors. What you do when you are unsure of the absorbality of a tablet you put it in water that is body temp not room temp a big difference and you time how long it takes them to disolve. If they disolve in like 5-10 minutes you have a very absorbalbe product (which these do) and 15-20 is still pretty good. I don't go over 30 minutes even for large tablets. At this point I replace them with another suplement and if I cannot find one I grind them up.

Great for thyroid function, reducing antibodies, and energy

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 02, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Great supplement for thyroid function. It has really helped both my husband and I with converting thyroid hormones T4 to T3 so we have a lot more energy. Selenium is also great for reducing antibodies. It has helped me reduce my antibodies from my Hashimotos Hypothyroidism. Great product!

HELPS WITH ADRENAL FATIGUE

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 27, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Affordable and seems to be helping in my overall regimen to combat low thyroid, adrenal fatigue and cloudy memory.

Creates a Relaxed State of Well-Being

Posted by rabbit on Aug 29, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have symptoms which indicate that I may have problems with my thyroid, so based on my research, I take this selenium along with iodine. I started taking selenium soon after I discovered iodine. I must have been iodine deficient because the first time I took an iodine supplement, within minutes, I began to feel an overwhelming feeling of well-being, relaxation, and euphoria. I immediately felt better than I had since I was a kid. I could breathe so much easier and my mind felt clear and happy. I couldn't believe that something so simple could make me feel so much better so fast. It was such a relief! I am vegan, so I don't eat fish and I rarely eat seaweed products. I had no idea that iodine was so important. It has really lessened my symptoms of hypothyroidism. Do your research on Hashimoto's thyroiditis before using iodine as a treatment because it is not always recommended for this autoimmune disorder and has also been thought to trigger it. However, selenium has been said to counter this and protect the thyroid while taking iodine, so do your research and make up your own mind. You may only need to take selenium. I now use a stronger variety of iodine as both a supplement and as an antibiotic alternative. After I started taking the stronger variety, I had a cyst burst which was very painful. I think the cyst burst because iodine is known to shrink cysts and rid the body of them entirely in some cases. I am glad that the cyst burst because it was causing some pain, but with it came the risk of infection. I couldn't really afford to go to the doctor, so I increased my regular dose of iodine to protect me from getting an infection. I've felt fine since. Some people have even used iodine to cure their cancer! If you don't eat fish or ocean-based products, be sure you are getting enough of this crucial vitamin. After I started taking selenium with the iodine, I feel even better. I feel even more relaxed and at ease, especially right after taking the supplement.

Now Foods, Selenium, Yeast Free, 100 mcg, 250 tablets

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 16, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Selenium is important for thyroid function. I have used this product for years.

Great Value

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 19, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This is a great price and makes it possible to take it long term. My doctor wants me on Selenium as it is a great help for my thyroid.

SELENIUM FOR A LONG LIFE

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 25, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Dont skip this one, if you are serious about cancer prevention, and dementia prevention. 200mcg a day would be my recommendation, along with a good liquid mineral supplement.

I think it works

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 30, 2011 | Verified Purchase

In addition to Kelp and L-Tyrosine. Taking for goiter and low thyroid. I have astounding energy, the goiter has shrunken and my hair fall is almost non exsistant. Added this a month ago along with the L-Tyrosine but have been taking the Kelp for almost 3 months.1 pill a day was all it took. Thank the lord for these personal reviews. I have a Doc appt just to see where my levels are..

Good stuff, cheap

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 15, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Selenomethionine seems to be one of the superior forms of selenium. *interesting tidbit* -The real life Mark Whitacre (from the movie "The Informant") has done extensive research on selenium and has an interesting website with info on it.