Caused dryness and eczema

Posted by AnnaOst on Jan 17, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I am very disappointed by this product! I'd been eager to try it because of all the fantastic reviews, but couldn't understand the admiration when I finally started using it on my skin. I have sensitive combination skin and I was hoping to get rid of comedones in T-zone. But this soap wasn't helpful at all. Instead I gained a bigger problem - within few days of use my skin became extremely dry, which resulted in ECZEMA. Few red itchy spots appeared on my skin and kept growing for a couple days causing a lot of irritation. I didn't want to blame the soap for it, but as soon as I stopped using it, my skin started healing. When I tried to use this soap all over my body, my skin started burning and itching. From what I found out later, this brand uses harsh artificial fragrances in their products (real black soap doesn't smell like that at all!), as well as unnecessary dyes which can hurt your skin. Would never recommend this to anyone.

Allergic reaction

Posted by Reviewer3293993 on Jul 25, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I've never had an allergic reaction to any product like I had to this. Within about 2 hours of using it, my skin felt like it was on fire and I could feel my face pulsing. I used this all over my body, and my body turned red and itched horribly. My face also swelled up in a way that honestly made me nervous about things getting pretty serious. I showered again after I realized that this was the problem; unfortunately I didn't think about the tiny amount of residue from my razor and thus I continued to use it for a couple of days and itched too badly to sleep well at night. :/ I LOVE Iherb and I know that this product has gotten tons of good reviews. Even the 1 star reviews didn't describe anything like what happened to me. But I've never been allergic to any product like this, and I felt like maybe I should let people looking at the reviews know that there's *something* in this soap that might cause some allergic reactions.

Not a fan

Posted by MandyEm on Feb 01, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Weird smell and left a dark residue on my tub.

Quite drying

Posted by Reviewer2672151 on Aug 01, 2015 | Verified Purchase

The soap is too drying, regardless of how you use it. Makes the skin tight and dehydrated. I had to use cream after wash. Now, after a couple of hours my skin is tight, burns and won't stop. Some itching as well. Not sure I can find any use for it. My husband also says that the soap is very drying. UPDATE: by the end of the day there's still a burning sensation on the skin. Extremely unpleasant.

dont like

Posted by Reviewer2081791 on Dec 06, 2011 | Verified Purchase

severely dried skin

Dries my skin - don't get what all the fuss is about

Posted by CombinationEczema on Nov 30, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Will not order again - African Black Soap Bar dries my skin, and makes my sensitive dry hands flaky. We threw it away cause we couldn't use it. Waste of money!

African Black Soap

Posted by Reviewer2321548 on Oct 20, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Bought based on reviews. However, I find the soap to be extremely drying even for my oily/combination skin. Skin felt very tight and slight itch after using. Being organic it is surprisingly fragranced. Will not repurchase.

Very nice for the skin BUT it contains

Posted by 4938615546298265520 on Nov 11, 2016 | Verified Purchase

Palm Oil! The industry is linked to major issues such as deforestation, habitat degradation, climate change, animal cruelty and indigenous rights abuses in the countries where it is produced, as the land and forests must be cleared for the development of the oil palm plantations. According to the World Wildlife Fund, an area the equivalent size of 300 football fields of rainforest is cleared each hour to make way for palm oil production. Sustainable palm oil has been under fire for several years from environmentalists and organisations who feel it is nothing more than a greenwashing scheme. I will not consent to deforestation by beeing ingorant about Palm Oil and therefore will not use a product with palm oil no matter how good it is. The consumer has the power to change things! (Norway)

Itchy rash

Posted by Reviewer2607436 on Feb 15, 2012 | Verified Purchase

This soap gave me a really bad, itchy rash that has lasted weeks, under my arms and on my face after using it a few times. I thought the ingredients were all natural, but the don't list the contents of the soap base, so who knows what is in that. I would love to know so I can steer clear of whatever it is, in the future.

CONTAINS PALM OIL + MISSING IMPORTANT INGREDIENT

Posted by 4926900183465553077 on May 04, 2017 | Verified Purchase

It´s hard giving up this soap as I really like it, however the first ingredients in this and most (all?) Nubian soaps is PALM OIL. By buying this you are also responsible for deforestation in West Africa, destruction of the habitat for millions of species not to mention great apes. The attention given the Orangutans in Borneo means a lot of companies have moved their production to equally corrupt countries in Africa, which means primary forests are cut down to grow palm oil plantation, forcefully removing indigenous populations, draining the soil for ground water (causing drought) and of course removing the homes for great apes and other species. BUT! Despite all this sadness, the good thing is that WE AS COSTUMERS HAVE THE POWER TO INFLUENCE THE COMPANIES WE BUY FROM! Send them an email and ask them to change this ingredient, or change soap all together. Besides..We all buy into the commercial, believing it is a real “African Black Soap” because they want us to belive it, but REAL African Black Soap shall contain Plantain skin. Just google how a real African Black soap should look like and you soon realize this is not the real deal.