Extraordinary weight loss with severe side effects

Posted by PurplePegasus on Sep 07, 2011 | Verified Purchase

In 2 weeks on Leucine I experienced rapid weight loss while eating non-diet foods, as much as I wanted, and walking and going up and down the stairs normally as only exercise. I had tremendous energy the first week, and felt my muscles becoming firm, this after having been put on steroids 3 years ago for 5 months, and that weight is near impossible to lose (almost none of my usual supplements helped). Well, on Leucine, I dropped 2 sizes in 2 weeks! This has been the easiest, most effortless and most rapid weight loss of my entire life. However right away I experienced some tremendous side effects: the first one was a shrill high-pitched noise inside my ears that simply would not stop. (I quit Leucine 2 days ago and just now realized the permanent maddening noise is gone.) That was on 1 pill per day (500mg). After about 1 week I decided I wanted more weight loss: I took 2 caps per day (1000mg). In addition to the ringing in my ears, I also experienced unbearable fatigue and hypersomnia: I found myself sleeping 2 shifts per 24 hrs, 8 and 9 hrs respectively. It was impossible for me to stay conscious. Also dealt with extreme anger (flying off he handle). Everyone is different, I will add that I'm female and not a body-builder, with pre-existing health problems. Perhaps lifting weights would metabolize the leucine faster and less the side effects? Also the first week I was eating a lot of protein (meat & eggs) and my understanding is the protein supplies the other BCAAs (isoleucine and valine) needed to balance out the leucine, so maybe the reason why I had less side effects during week 1. I did read that leucine inhibits tryptophan, which regulates serotonin in the brain but I could not find anything online about these side effects, except for the anger. I don't know if the side effects would have been less at 2 caps per day if I'd eaten protein daily, since I was unable to go grocery shopping due my state of inertia, I found myself without meat or eggs. I deduct only 1 star for the side effects but if I had to do it again, you bet! Losing the weight I put in 8 months in only 2 weeks was well worth it. I will have another go at leucine in a few weeks and will make sure to only take 1 cap per day and have plenty of meat during the time I'm on it. Hope this helps someone out there.

L- Leucine

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 30, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Add vitamin B1 then it becomes Iso-Leucine

Good product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 26, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Good for strength and great price.

Exelent product

Posted by RomStayn on Feb 16, 2013 | Verified Purchase

great fights catabolism and increases muscle mass

Very Good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 15, 2012 | Verified Purchase

It helps me to keep my weight and lean mass.

Good source

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 22, 2017 | Verified Purchase

This is a great way to take leucine, the most important ingredient of branch chain amino acids. Pure leucine in capsule form, and with no added flavourings that are used in the majority of bcca powders to disguise the appalling taste. Recommended.

not good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 02, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I didn't see any difference,I am using over 3weeks no results,doesn't work for mee

bad and very expensive

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 10, 2014 | Verified Purchase

bad and very expensive

Leucine the best

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 16, 2017 | Verified Purchase

Very helpful for protein syntesis.Taken with whey protein isolate or before sleep helps muscle regeneration.Veoma koristan proizvod.Jedna od najvažnijih aminokiselina.

Great product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 19, 2017 | Verified Purchase

My father likes this product, he says it helps him preserve his muscles with age.

1 2