These are my ground beef substitute

Posted by Reviewer1710429 on Nov 07, 2009 | Verified Purchase

These cook up much quicker than the instructions on the wrapper -- to avoid being really mushy, try 25-30 min. When cooked, to my surprise, they were be a pale green/yellow/brown color. Red lentils are my go-to substitute for ground beef (can't eat due to sudden food intolerance) since they are a bit mushy & mix well with spices. I've made sloppy joes with them (cook 1 cup dry to substitute for a pound of ground beef) and also tacos & chili. I use the same spices, give or take, & turns out pretty good, but you'd never mistake it for actual meat. But this way I can eat my version & the rest of my family can have the real deal. I cook the entire bag at once & freeze in the portions I need. For lentil soup, I use brown or green lentils which tend to keep their shape.

Organic is best

Posted by Reviewer1333587 on Apr 06, 2008 | Verified Purchase

These red lentils are delicious and work well in Indian recipes. Cook them with onion, garlic, salt and pepper and they become a nice meat substitute served along side brown rice and vegetable of choice.

Great for sprouting

Posted by HealthyGuy on Nov 18, 2008 | Verified Purchase

These lentils are great to sprout and eat raw.

Cook Up Quickly

Posted by Reviewer2666562 on Sep 10, 2008 | Verified Purchase

These beans have a pretty color and they taste great. Unlike other dried beans, they cook up quickly.

Beanloaf

Posted by Reviewer2967191 on Mar 24, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I make a couple different styles of beanloaf and wanted to try one with red lentils. The bag comes with an easy recipe that was very delicious. I've already ordered more. Good price for organic.

Red lentils

Posted by Reviewer2091351 on Jan 19, 2008 | Verified Purchase

These arrived in record time and are of excellent quality

Good taste

Posted by 5688344835545606694 on Aug 14, 2013 | Verified Purchase

The lentils have a very rich flavor. They are very delicate, do not put them in a pressure cooker because it will melt. We put them to heat for 30 minutes over low heat.

Legume Lovers rejoice!

Posted by 4636022860649809605 on Jan 26, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Organic and a great value. I pop these in my crock pot with some sliced up ham to recreate a sort of green pea and ham soup. Since these don't cook up red, more of a brown/green lentil color you can actually change the color completely with a few dashes of tumeric to make it yellow like yellow split peas. Texture is lovely and it absorbs flavors well. Will re-order!

Excellent lentils

Posted by Reviewer3188967 on Dec 03, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I always buy this brand of red lentils at my local grocery store. But they were out of stock there, and also at the other local grocery stores. So I ordered a humongous number of them from iHerb. They arrived quickly, in perfect condition. They cook up great, in all my favorite red lentil recipes. Yum!

Soooo Yummy!

Posted by Reviewer2109596 on Nov 23, 2009 | Verified Purchase

These are next to my favorite lentils and I think the price is reasonable sine they're organic

1 2 3 4