warning : some may be contaminated by Black Scorch disease

Posted by Reviewer1146718 on Aug 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I LOVED this dates. This was my second purchase, because I'd been very satisfied with the first one. But a horrible thing happened this morning, while I was driving to my office chewing some dates from this bag. Without seeing, I picked up my second date from the bag, And after the first chew, I smelled this weird stench. I thought it must have been from the outside odor. But on my second chew, it suddenly popped and fumed out a little black cloud of powder – it was a powder of black fungus. I threw the date out of my car window and checked myself on the mirror. There were grains of black powder (fungus) all over me. Around my lips, on my face, neck and my white shirt. I wiped them out with wet tissue, so now they are seemingly gone now, but I’ll be forever disgusted. I googled what it was; it was called black scorch disease. They say it can be identified easily because it contaminates stems, leaves – not only the fruit itself. For me, collecting & putting these infected date palms into the bags and selling them, even they saw the disease all over the date palm trees, it is totally unacceptable. I’m really disappointed with this product and their quality control. If you want to buy these date palms, carefully watch what you’re eating, before you put them into your mouth unless you want to taste the powder of fungus.

Won't buy again

Posted by LantauMama on Apr 09, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Maybe it is the non-airtight bags, but I have had bad luck with these dates - very dry, stringy and some have what I think is mold. No other dates (from other brands) I have had are like these. As a result, I no longer buy these, and buy dates locally instead.

Posted by 5279965409001474567 on Oct 01, 2014 | Verified Purchase

The dates are sweet...but few of them seemed to be infested.. I had to open each one and check actually. So I am not getting this anymore.

Delicious but very small bag!

Posted by PurplePegasus on Jan 02, 2014 | Verified Purchase

These dates are delicious. The Medjool is the kind that melts in your mouth. (The other is Deglet Noor, and those are always pitted because those dates are hard). These are soft and chewy. Unfortunately, they are quite pricey and there aren't too many in the bag, plus Medjool dates are not pitted because it would be an impossible mess to try to remove pits so there's even less per weight than 14 oz, when you factor in all the pits. Thankfully, these are so soft, there's no danger of biting into the pit when being careful unlike the Deglet Noor, which always leaves pitts in their "pitted" dates anyways. I saw the negative top review and at first it prevented me from buying. But then I thought about it: the reviewer lives in Asia and purchased in the middle of scorching summer: I seriously doubt it had anything to do with that disease he mentions, his must simply arrived moldy, destroyed by heat in transit. A little common sense tells me to never buy organic foods (read: without chemical preservatives) in the summer (or hot weather, should I say here in California), because organic foods are highly perishable and very much heat-sensitive. There's no way I would buy these in hot weather now that the smart post means these would spend at least 3 nights stored in hot warehouses and 3 days traveling in over 100F weather! (When it's 80F outside, it reaches 100F in the back of a hot delivery truck, so I always keep that in mind for my perishables purchases). If ordering in summer, it's best to always use next day delivery. I recommend buying them now in the middle of winter but be advised, very small bag and they don't last: these are high sugar content, meaning highly addictive since they're delicious so it's very hard to eat just 2. Thankfully they have lots of nutrients but they're also very fattening. Otherwise the taste is excellent. The bag is very compact so they are bunched together but they detach without problems.

Incredibly moist and tasty!

Posted by Reviewer2869189 on May 16, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Best dates I've ever had. So good, nearly addictive.

Best to date :)

Posted by Reviewer1523817 on Jul 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

The best date I've had. They have a special luxurious taste, splendid! As far as I'm aware, this is my first medjool date, so I can't compare though. Update: Did compare to some local store bought medjool's. The local ones where not as good, kind of daft compared to these.

Heavenly Dates

Posted by Reviewer2054091 on Sep 08, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I thought the price on this package was pretty high. Until I tasted them. If you love dates as I do, you won't mind the extra cost. They're that good.

Better than I expected

Posted by 4622272339477627429 on Dec 20, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I used it for brownies. When I saw the comments, I was worried about the quality. Luckily, the dates are very nice and sweet for the recipe =)

Tiny tiny bag of dates

Posted by 4865991019844053040 on Dec 07, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Most of these were great, a few seemed a bit dry and hard, but I soaked them in water and used in recipes. When they arrived I was surprised by how tiny the bag was. The label was also changed on the product - the one I received didn't have the picture of the squirrel and almond. The dates had white covering which I mistakenly took as mold at first, however I researched it further and it turns out it's just natural sugars surfacing to the skin of the dates. Taste was good!

Great for smoothie

Posted by 4953722487581156473 on Aug 11, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Sweet, flavourful and great when blended into smoothie

1 2 3 4