Good source of plant-based protein, but.....

Posted by KillerBunny on Dec 05, 2012 | Verified Purchase

After reading about pea based protein sources, I decided to give this product a try as an alternative to whey. On paper it's all good; made from non-GMO clean sources, high in BCAA's, has a good amino acid profile, 79% protein by weight, and free from any allergen/gluten/soy/dairy - basically a protein that ANYONE can take and at a super low price to boot. When I first opened the container, I noticed that the product has a tendency to clump together, the scoop thing was caked with powder - This is most likely due to the fact that there aren't any desiccant packs in there (I guess to insure it's truly allergen free), but it was no big deal really. It mixed easily and didn't thicken up too much in liquid, but the real thing for me that limits it's usage is the taste - It tastes like peas (big surprise).... I would've figured they would manage a way to mask the flavor, but then again, any sort of processing would break their promise of a clean untainted protein source. So there's a small detail I did not consider when ordering this, it really isn't that bad, if you mix it with dark chocolate it's virtually gone, and it does mix well in soups or stews to add more protein. It also digests very well, I did not have any bloated feeling, or acid build up (like casein does), or gas... I will definitely order more when I run out. Just keep the taste in mind; if you're hoping for something that tastes like orange creamsicles, this ain't it, if you can tolerate an off taste in your shakes or want something as a protein-boosting cooking aid, this is for you.

Very good pea protein powder

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 27, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Virtually tasteless, adds texture to smoothies and shakes. Very good value.

best raw protein

Posted by norihito on Apr 29, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I tried many kinds of raw protein and this is absolutely the best. I like rice protein too though, this unique egg yolk like taste fascinates me a lot. Growing naturals has become my daily protein brand.

not good

Posted by marianF on Dec 16, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Trying to take a break from dairy protein (whey), I decided to try pea protein.Before the Growing Naturals one, I had tried two other brands.The other brands tasted kind of neutral, slightly nutty when mixed with juice, and although I was not amazed by any means, I could live with them.This one tastes and smells absolutely horrible.It smells like fish food, it's far more gritty than the other pea proteins and a bit more expensive, too.I wonder if it was my batch, cause I was so surprised to read other people reviewing it positively.All I can do now, is look forward to finishing the tub, thank god it's only 24 servings.Also, I need to say that I always use unflavored and unsweetened protein powders (whey or vegetarian), so I'm used to my protein not tasting that great, but this one I found it hard to even get down :(

Growing Naturals, Yellow Pea Protein, Original, 16 oz (456 g)

Posted by ReputableReviewer on Sep 28, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Very nice and very strange. Strange in a good sense, because it is like with vanilla in it, though composition is saying: pure natural:) Ok, let's believe. I am glad that it has even 24 portions and the price is good. Trying it for the first time now, but definitely will buy it again and again. I even think that it would be good with skimmed milk, more filling and maybe would not upset stomach.?.

Does the job

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 01, 2015 | Verified Purchase

It's not for everyone I suppose. It does tastes like peas. It helps me get through the day without early in the day carbs (fast breakfast--use for lunch and mid-afternoon) to help me keep my blood sugar down. I stoke it with unsweetened coconut milk, nutritional yeast, bee pollen, greens, peanut butter, coconut manna, and Stevia.

Great in Carrot Based juices.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 07, 2013 | Verified Purchase

If been doing a reboot (fat sick nearly dead) and have been adding this to my breakfast and lunch juices. It adds a creamier thicker texture to the juice and a not unpleasant taste. Still not as good as pure juice, but quite drinkable. It's a touch gritty, but again, not in a negative way. I have decided to go for the 60 day reboot, and have purchased more to see me through. So there it is. Good enough that I bought it again.

Good!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 29, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I use the protein in pancakes, pies, like it a lot but the taste of it is quite special, so some other flours/proteins are recommended

Not my cup of ...pea

Posted by Elisabeth on Jan 06, 2015 | Verified Purchase

I decided to try something else than my normal hemp protein for a while, and got this one. Big mistake. Not only does it taste weird, but it does not dissolve well in my morning paleo "oatmeal". I'm finishing it up, but back to the hemp protein it is!

Great product

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 06, 2017 | Verified Purchase

Excellent value. I'm really pleased with this product as it's high in BCAAs and the pea taste is not that bad in my smoothie. A+

1 2