Works for me

Posted by Reviewer1310163 on Jan 06, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I've had on and off depression for 5 years now. It was a little over a year ago that the depression came back along with anxiety and for over a year now I've been having constant depression + anxiety and for anyone that experiences daily 'body low' feelings along with chest tightness, it's unbearable and very stressful on the mind + body. I chose not to go on antidepressants years ago, even when it was highly suggested by doctors that I start taking antidepressants I refused. I decided to give St Johns Wort a try and that did help but I had to stop taking it, due to complications. I decided to give 5-htp a shot and first tried the NOW FOODS brand after hearing / reading so many positive reviews about 5-htp itself and I tried it for over a month and my friend also tried it with me but we both experienced the same effects... up moods followed by comedowns. I didn't want to give up on 5htp as I really wanted to believe that it did work, like it did for many others. I started taking this brand for a month and started to notice the effects after a few weeks. I was able to handle my emotions much better and the anxiety / depression lifted and it was so so relieving to finally feel 'normal' again after dealing with terrible daily anxiety / depression for over a year, untreated. A few weeks ago I started skipping the the 5-htp, due to forgetting and probably feeling too good to realize that I still needed it. Quite unexpectedly, I started to feel anxious again and the depression came back and I was confused and feeling like I did before, a feeling I didn't want to experience again. I started taking the 5-htp immediately and after a few days I lost the anxiety and depression and now I am feeling calm. I don't usually write reviews but from my experience, I really want others to give this product a try if they are wondering whether they should or not. The NOW FOODS brand did absolutely nothing for me, but this works wonders and I can't tell you how good it feels to feel calm and to have a positive outlook. If this brand doesn't work for you, try another brand. But I can say that this brand is excellent, and works for ME. Life changing.

Love It!!!

Posted by Reviewer1991497 on May 11, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I have been taking Jarrow Formulas 5HTP for about 3 years. It helps me sleep and raises the seratonin level in my brain which wards away depression. I recommend this product for anyone wanting a good nights sleep all the way to severe depression.

Solid Value

Posted by Reviewer3079478 on Nov 25, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I struggle with depression. I have used St. John's Wort for several years now and it has been very helpful. Recently stressors increased in my life so much that I needed something with the St. JW. This product has been extremely useful. I take 300 mg/day (100 3xs/day)as per the reasearch dosage and it has kept the black despair at bay which allows the St.JW to alleviate my mood. As I can not afford other avenues for health care re: this disease I am extremely grateful for this product.

jarrow 5htp

Posted by Reviewer1395444 on Dec 05, 2007 | Verified Purchase

does not cause the nausea that natrol's 5 htp gave me

Jarrow is the best brand of 5HTP

Posted by Reviewer1658882 on Jan 03, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I have tried several different brands of 5HTP and Jarrow is the best by far. The cost is a little higher, but definately worth. iHerb also has the best price for this product that I have found.

Great for mood and sleep and more

Posted by Reviewer1075408 on Sep 14, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Helps mood and sleep. I've even noticed increased learning/attention abilities. I am also more positive and less agitated. I have a theory that those with damaged digestion/GI are going to have problems/shortage of 5-HTP since most is manufactured in the gut. Also since taking 5-HTP I've noticed better bowel movements since 5-HTP helps with peristalsis. Still playing with the dose. Sometimes I take one at night, sometimes 1 in the morning and night. I've noticed that the Jarrow version is much more potent than other brands. As usual Jarrow is very high quality.

Change in life perspective

Posted by Reviewer3205133 on Nov 19, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Recommended to me by my nutritionist. I take these in combination with Theanine and SAM-e 200. I was suffering from low moods and depression, as well as decreased focus and attention. Taking these tablets has changed my life. My mood is now consistent and good, I have focus, I'm able to think "clearer," and feel mentally better than I have in years. Did much more for me than a lot of therapy ; ) I was prescribed anti-depressants at one point. So glad I resisted. One round of visits to a nutritionist and all better, naturally and healthily!

Now foods is better

Posted by 4931805708770994225 on May 30, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I usually like Jarrow, but I can't feel their 5HTP working at all. I buy the NOW Foods 5HTP on the other hand and I can feel a clear difference.

Jarrow 5-HTP

Posted by Reviewer1147981 on Jan 15, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I've found this brand to be more effective than others.

Great Quality - Really Helps

Posted by Reviewer1331521 on Jul 25, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I started using this 5-htp product to help my PMS. I take it about a week before my menstrual period and it helps my PMS symptoms considerably. I usually take it for a total of 10-12 days a month. I have also used "Doctor's Best" brand, however it made me bloated and gave me headaches, as well as it didn't seem to help much. Jarrow seems to agree with me the best. Extra note: I also started using Evening Primrose Oil gel caps on a daily basis and that also seemed to help my PMS along with the 5-htp.