Jarrow 5-HTP 50 mg

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 15, 2006 | Verified Purchase

Jarrow has an excellent product with their 5-HTP. If you test your products with kinesiology (muscle testing) you will find their's is the best. I've checked out many Anti-aging products which work with the hormone balance in the body - Melatonin, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, HGH and now 5-HTP. After one capsule of this product I felt calmer, had no awareness of any problems in my life and couldn't even remember if I did have any problems! That's the effect of increased Serotonin levels. I take it with Phosphatidylserine which provides nutrition for the brain. Fish from the ocean is brain food too, if you can't afford the Phosphatidylserine. Jarrow 5-HTP 50 mg is a "must have" for Anti-aging

5HTP- I wish I'd had this years ago

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 16, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I take this with a B-Complex (note: with Niacin) vitamin every day. I am not a doctor and cannot give an official medical recommendation. To deal with my depression (since my teens!) I tried psychologists, SSRIs (Prozac- absolutely dulled my creativity and other urges), and, most lately, frequent meditation (it helped slightly). For years I felt like a giant pressing weight was centered over my brain. Now I take roughly 250 mg of 5HTP throughout my morning, with maybe a touch-up of 50mg as needed roughly 6-8 hours later. I can't drink alcohol while on such a high dose of 5HTP- I find even a shot makes me depressed and anxious the next day. But, my mood is great, my social anxiety is gone-- the looming "cloud" is gone. All these improvements seems to be slowly improving my maturity, and reducing my anxiety to "face life head on," as they say. What a GREAT supplement! It is important to take 5HTP during "daylight" hours, as the circadian rhythm of your body and the sunlight exposure will help to convert it to Serotonin (at night, it will process too quickly from Serotonin into Melotonin). My BMI is 39 at the moment, so it is important to find a dosage in milligrams that is right for you. I experience a headache and increased aggression if I take too much. Please note: 5HTP will probably only aid depression in those suffering from some degree of serotonin deficiency. It is up to you to decide whether trying this supplement is right for you. Please be sure to buy from as good a source as iHerb: I find the Jarrow Formulas product is more effective than any others I've tried, and the price is very good.

Simone

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 09, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This is an excellent product. Since I began taking Jarrow 5-HTP a year and a half ago, my ability to fall sleep, stay asleep,and sleep deeply, have all improved dramatically. I began feeling the benefits right away, but they became most noticeable after 3 months of continual use. I am also never drowsy the next day, as with some herbs I have tried. I also noticed that as an added benefit of taking 5-HTP, it gently regulates my mood, so I feel an overall heightened sense of well being. I will stay with this brand indefinitely!

Great Stuff

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 30, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I just recently started taking 5HTP by Jarrow formulas about 2 weeks ago. It has help tremendously. I have been struggling with depression for the last 2 to 3 years, and overnight this has helped so much. I never took any prescriptions because I wanted something that was natural and I know that I did not want to experience any side effects. I heard that many RX's have a lot of side effects. GREAT stuff.

it works

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 27, 2012 | Verified Purchase

i take tyrosine in the morning and noon and this in the early evening...my depression is gone, energy is up, and i'm sleeping really well...

gets rid of anxiety

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 29, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have been using this for aabout a month- and it gives me a deep sleep. So I found night time is better than day to take it. Also I think more clearly- stress doesn't get me down as much. Same problems as always -I just don't feel overwhelmed. And I feel as if I think better, aharper, and more strategicly. If I take it during the day- I'm ready for a nap within 45 minutes. This is better than a Xanax. I stay calmer.

Great Anti-Depressor

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 10, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I use this in combination with Tyrosine in a 10 to 1 ratio(10 Tyrosine to 1-5 HTP to take with B6) to raise serotonin and dopamine levels. A great Orthomolecular pharmacist showed me the efficacy of this treatment in elevating mood, improve sleep, suppress cravings, increase energy and reduce pain. It is used by Jim Carrey, there is a video interview of him online with Larry King discussing how he got out of his depression using this formula. No more SSRI's for me!

Mind Control

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 05, 2017 | Verified Purchase

I originally started taking this supplement in the morning with my coffee and my prescribed Wellbutrin on a empty stomach and I honestly could not feel anything different. But I started to experiment and I found that if I took it in the late afternoon it helped eliminate my binge eating in the evening. Of course the only foods I wanted to binge on were sweet and salty. So when I would start to feel like I wanted to eat, I would stop and ask myself if I was really hungry. When I started taking the 5-HTP I found it easier to listen to my body's response. I actually felt like it helped my body feel more satisfied and I had improved will-power to overcome the urge. It also did not interfere with my sleep which was important to me.

Best brand to buy

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 05, 2014 | Verified Purchase

Recommended brand by medical professionals. Couldn't take about 20 years ago as made me hyper but probably because I didn't have pain then. If you have chronic pain, your endorphins are used up in same pathway as pain signals and you either need antidepressants or this. Started with 1 a day, after a couple of months, doctor raised me to 2 a day; take one as soon as I get up in morning, the last one a couple of hours before bed. Have noticed a huge difference. Will continue to use this brand.

Great product

Posted by NaturallyMisha on Mar 23, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Good price, works well. I notice feeling well rested, and alert during the day. I can control my emotions better, I don't want to ever be without my 5-htp. I use 50 mg in the morning and before bed.