BroccoMax, a probable waste of money

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 08, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I was a regular user of this product because I don't care for the taste of broccoli, but want to get the considerable health benefits offered by sulforaphane. However, I came across a recent independent study that compared the release of sulforaphane derived from fresh broccoli to a broccoli extract supplement, which happened to be Jarrow BroccoMax, the same supplement that I was using. In the study, the subjects ingested 6 capsules of BroccoMax daily, which was 3-times the dose that I used.The study found that sulforphane release from broccoli depended on the presence of an enzyme in broccoli called myrosinase, that is released when the broccoli is chewed. This enzyme converts the precursor for sulforaphane in broccoli into active sulforaphane. But without the presence of myrosinase, the conversion to active sulforaphane is negligible. There is some conversion in the colon through the action of intestinal bacteria, but the amount of sulforaphane absorbed from this route is thought to be very low, and may not occur at all in some people. The point here is that BroccoMax doesn't actually contain sulforaphane, but rather the inactive precursor to sulforaphane, which must be converted by myrosinase into active sulforaphane. And there is no myrosinase in BroccoMax. I wrote to the company that produces this ingredient in BroccoMax(not Jarrow), and they refused to answer me when I asked them about the activity of the product. As such, it appears that BroccoMax is useless, and does not provide any significant sulforaphane activity. It's a complete waste of money, and I won't be using it anymore.

Jarrow Formulas, BroccoMax, 250 mg, 60 Veggie Caps (

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 22, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Cancer runs in my family, particularly prostate cancer. I was having groin pain which disappeared soon after I began to take BrocoMax, this being the highest potency product that I could find. Do the research on the effects of broccoli on oncogenes.

BroccoMax

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 28, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Firstly, your delivery charge is by far the cheapest I have ever found for any product I have ordered over the net and believe me I have ordered tons!! The product was delivered in a timely manner of which I was appreciative. Finally, BroccoMax is a fabulous product. I ordered it after reading about what HSI had to say about it vis a vis COPD. I have had asthma for 40 years. Along with another herbal product I take to control my asthma, this product certainly goes along way in relieving the residual damage that has been done over the years from the inflammation and constant use of steriod inhalers. I have recently thrown out all my inhalers for the first time in 40 years, that is how confident I am of the products I am using to control my asthma. Again, thanks for the great service, I would highly recommend your company to everyone!

You must love Jarrow products.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 08, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Take it with a mixture of antioxidants + flavanoids + turmeric/ginger, and tell me how it feels in one month. Because I personally was surprised to realize it's working as an energizer! I'm mixing it with Jarrow Wellness Optimizer (3/day)+ Jarrow Neuro Defense (1-2/day) + Fish Oil (~1000mg/day) + D3 (~2000UI/day).

Excellent product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 24, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I use it to fight the recurrence of breast cancer. It is more economical than other products on the market. It would be nice if it came in a larger amount of pills per bottle.

hPylori killer!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 16, 2015 | Verified Purchase

I took this product in combination with other supplements to kill hPylori, when I couldn't (and didn't want to) take antibiotics. The biopsy of stomach lining a few months later showed NEGATIVE for hPylory! So glad for that result and for Broccomax availability!

God-sent for airways

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 06, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Very powerful positive effect on copd, and for smoking related airway diseases in general

Great

Posted by detoxhealing on Sep 28, 2009 | Verified Purchase

This seems to give me more energy. Glad to have discovered this!

felt nothing

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 29, 2013 | Verified Purchase

i took theese and draw the line after 2 months, i felth absolutelly nothing, so i eat brocolli sprouts.

Jarrow Formulas, Brocco Max

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 07, 2011 | Verified Purchase

You never know for sure but since I have been using this, the rate of growth of my Prostate Cancer has significantly slowed.