disgusting

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 08, 2010 | Verified Purchase

it tastes & smells like oil that went through an old dirty machine... I wouldnt go for this, go for extra virgin, organic, cold pressed coconut oil, its totally worth the little extra money :)

Great inexpensive oil for cooking

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 12, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I buy another brand of extra virgin coconut oil to use for supplement and cooking purposes, and I got hooked on the great cooking properties of coconut oil. However, the extra virgin has a strong coconut taste that you do not always want in your food. This oil is also fantastic for cooking and as a butter substitute, for half the price and without the coconut taste. I will continue to buy both, I think each has their purpose.

Smells awful!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 03, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Bought this as a moisturiser because it was cheaper than the extra virgin, and what a disappointment! Not sure if I got a bad batch but I bought 3 jars of the stuff and it smells and tastes like burnt plastic. It's not the jar but the oil itself. As I live in the UK it would cost too much to send them back. I begrudge even giving it one star.

Horrible, at least from iherb

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 21, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I decided to order this coconut oil since it appeared to be the frugal pick as well as a favorite on here. When it arrived to my house, I opened it, ready to use it for a moisturizer when I caught the stench of burning plastic, all through the coconut oil! When I informed iherb about this, they just said all I can do is send it back but it's not worth it since I only paid $4.50! Never again.

Burnt smell

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 10, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Strong smell/taste of smoke. Completely worthless for cooking. Pay the extra for the extra-virgin type that actually tastes good.

No coconutty taste!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 31, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I love coconut, but not in everything - and this is totally tasteless. The texture is not as soft and buttery as the virgin oil so it becomes quite hard when refrigerated. Note that this is produced from the copra, or dried coconut, rather than from the fresh. It actually sautes better, less frothy than the fresh oil.

Nice for cooking

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 18, 2009 | Verified Purchase

This is a good coconut oil for cooking foods where you don't want a coconut flavour. Of course, low flavour means less of the factors that make coconut oil a great food. it's still a good cooking fat though, as it doesn't oxidise, even at high temperatures or after long storage time.

Good Stuff!

Posted by MikeMember on May 11, 2007 | Verified Purchase

Excellent all around oil. Great for frying and makes delicious popcorn, without adding any coconut flavor to the food.

Good for health

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 18, 2012 | Verified Purchase

No smell for those not used to coconut oil and also good for the health too.Great to fry with.

Fabulous!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 10, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Not only do I cook with this, but I eat it straight from the jar, too! I keep two jars in the fridge--I chop them both up into chunks with a knife so it's easy to use a piece for cooking and eating. I'm not crazy about the waxy consistency but I find that if I fill my mouth with ice cold water, it keeps the coconut oil from getting too oily and I'm able to swallow it fairly quickly, before I get too grossed out! I also found that the more I eat, the more I crave it (I eat a tablespoon or two sized chunk each evening before bed). I feel a huge difference physically when I have the oil on a regular basis--I actually feel better and thinner in my tummy and not as bloated (which is a problem I've been having lately).