Noticable results

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 20, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I purchased this after reading the book "The Mood Cure" with the intention of using it to facilitate going off my medication (Effexor and Klonopin) for anxiety and depression. I've started taking one pill in the afternoons, and have seen a very noticeable difference in my mood... I just feel generally happier than I have in years. I've decided to stay on the Rx meds for now, but the 5-HTP has definitely given them a "boost". I guess I will see how it goes going off the meds down the road, as my Dr. wasn't sure I could replace them entirely with this. If you are on antidepressents/anxiety medication, I would reccommend trying this in addition to those, as it's made a clear difference in my moods. I'm now up to 2 tablets (100mg) a day. I'm giving it four stars because I haven't been taking it that long. Good luck! ps- have not noticed *any* weight loss whatsoever, but oh well.

Keeping with it

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 22, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Background: I currently have mild depression in my opinion; though I was diagnosed with clinical depression (with anxiety) a couple years ago. After time on sertraline and xanax I recovered for the most part. I felt like I was slipping back into moments and feelings of that depressed state 4 months after I got off all the pharmaceuticals. Now, I turned to 5-HTP for some support.... Product review: As far as I can tell, I am less prone to feeling those moments of depression. In the morning, I wake up more easily and effortlessly (not like before!) Also, I think it's making me want to sleep a normal amount, and, I generally do not have depressed feelings like I used to. The first few days I knew it was doing something because I wanted to hop right out of bed after 7 hours of sleep (usually I get 10...). As I stay with the product, I believe it's enhancing my emotional state in a positive way overall. I am much less afraid that I will become depressed again. If you give it a try, I recommend you stay with it for at least a few weeks. The negative side is that, the first few days I took it I did have a couple moments of a strange feeling of anxiety, but it passed, as I knew it was probably from this pill. That doesn't happen anymore. :)

Amazing stuff

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 21, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I switched "back" to this brand of 5-HPT after buying a less expensive one and within a week saw a huge difference in my anxiety level. I use this rather than a presciption antidepressant and it works just as well with no side effects. Highly recommended!

Very effective

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 16, 2007 | Verified Purchase

This product has a positive effect on my mood and overall well-being.

it works

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 17, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I have depression, anxiety issues. I used to take SSRI and also tried GABA. SSRI made it worse, GABA works for anxiety but never cures the depression. this product might make u drowsy or dizzy at first. As ur body gets used to it, it will get better. I am also trying 5htp of other brand and to be honest, i dont see any difference between this and that in the point of effect. Anyway highly recommended for those suffering from mood swing! Anyway highly recommended

works pretty well for me

Posted by alloriginal on Nov 15, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I take this at bedtime, and have never experienced the nausea that other reviewers have noted. It seems to help me sleep better, and improve my mood the follwing day. It's action is subtle, and there are no side effects that I've noticed. This is part of the arsenal against depression. Other things to consider are L-phenylalanine, SAM-e, etc. I believe that nutritional supplements saved my life. I've tried a lot of products, and I know what works and what doesn't. My reviews are honest, straighforward, and based on my experience. Read my other reviews to quickly learn from my three decades of research and experimentation.

Not for me

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 16, 2010 | Verified Purchase

At first, I was really excited about 5-htp. I absolutely noticed both an elevation in my mood and a curb of my appetite. But after only 2 weeks I found I didn't want to take anymore. Even though I wasn't feeling depressed, I was also not feeling relaxed. I was agitated. In regards to curbing the appetite, when the pill wore off and if I didn't take another one I would get really hungry and eat a lot all at once.

bad choice

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 22, 2008 | Verified Purchase

i'm sorry, but this was a total waste of $8. it did absolutely nothing to my appetite/mood.

I Love this!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 20, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I take 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at noon. I am no longer sleeping all of the time and my husband says I'm nicer(gives me energy instead of making me tired). I feel great!

Natrol 5 HTP

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 30, 2011 | Verified Purchase

This product came quickly and has been a help to me for reducing pain. I was unable to find the 50 mg. size locally and was glad to get it at iHerb.

1 2