High dose B6 is toxic - especially long term use

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Oct 25, 2013 | Verified Purchase

It's water soluble so you'll excrete it quickly, correct? Perhaps so. However - it can take much longer to correct any imbalance caused. I'll never take B6 in high doses again, not even short term. Many things mention that B6 is the asthma vitamin. From my experience - it's not. B6 is an iodine antagonist and a sodium antagonist. Low iodine will make you wheeze. Low sodium will make you wheeze. Long term use of high doses of B6 (50mg is a high dose) can lead to hypothyroidism. Because B6 is a sodium antagonist, it can disrupt electrolyte balance, especially if sodium is low. Short term, B6 is an iodine (and sodium) synergist - thus many people might initially experience a good result from taking more B6. However - short term can be very short if iodine or sodium are low. Taking more iodine/sodium will not necessarily correct an imbalance until the B6 is stopped. High doses of B6 will also deplete minerals such as manganese - essential for thyroid function and mitochondrial superoxide dismutase (chronic fatigue anyone?), among other things. Low manganese will result in reduced thyroid hormone. However - manganese is very estrogenic and high manganese can also cause hypothyroidism. Short term use of B6 can help lower manganese - but I still don't recommend going that route. I initally bought this B6 because it had the least added fluff, was a good price and I liked that it's only 50mg. However - I've learnt that 50mg is way too much B6. I also dislike the added mag stearate and wonder why NF can't just use cellulose as per their 100mg Niacin tabs. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

HCL

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 16, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Good!

I Really need 500 mg capsules

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 12, 2010 | Verified Purchase

These are working except that I need to take 10 tabs in order to obtain a 500 mg dose.

RE: So Far So Good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 30, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I have been taking the Life Extension Pyridoxamine but for some unknown reason, Life Extension has discontinued it. The closest substitution was the Natural Factors Pyridoxine. I haven't been taking it long enough (only about 2 weeks) but so far it's been fine.

B6