Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 13, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Why on earth does a company that goes to the trouble of soy based inks on its packaging to appear natural, think it needed to have a foaming agent at all, when did we learn that was a necessary part of toothpaste? The chemical in question still creates carcinogenic by-products and is listed as "wash off applications only". So putting it on the most absorbent mucous membranes in your body is pure madness. If I didn't live in NZ I'd be posting it back.

Not that bad, but contains sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, hydrated silica and glycerin.

Posted by Leione on Apr 23, 2014 | Verified Purchase

There are some good things about this anise toothpaste: it's free of SLS, fluoride, parabens, propylene glycol, PEGs, saccharin and artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners and doesn't contain mint, which makes it suitable for people suffering from acid reflux, heartburn and gastritis, because mint may aggravate these conditions, but it does contain sodium lauroyl sarcosinate and hydrated silica. Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is a synthetic surfactant and foaming, emulsifying and viscosity controlling agent, which is suspected to be an environmental toxin, allergen and irritant. Hydrated silica is a pretty harsh abrasive which may harm and damage the enamel and prevent its remineralization. Glycerin is a safe ingredient but sometimes may interfere with the remineralization of the tooth enamel. The other ingredients are not that bad, though: calcium carbonate and sodium chloride are relatively mild abrasives, aloe vera juice is known for soothing and healing sore gums, reducing redness and inflammation, relieving the symptoms of gingivitis and parodontosis, calcium glycerophosphate is a safe antiplaque agent, carrageenan (natural, not its degraded and chemically processed variety, poligeenan) is a natural thickener made from seaweed, bisabol ol, anise oil, soap bark, white tea leaf, pomegranate, cranberry, grape seed and ginger root extracts are great for preventing and reducing plaque and tartar build-up, killing harmful tooth decay-causing bacteria and stimulating the growth of tooth-protective, non-acidic bacteria, removing stains, strengthening the enamel, protecting against caries, fighting halitosis and prom oting fresh breath. But overall, there are better and safer mint-free toothpastes out there.

Not crazy about the taste, but it's pretty good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 27, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I lived in India for years and loved the idea of having a fennel/licorice taste in my mouth after meals, but for whatever reason I don't feel like it makes sense in a toothpaste. I think the concerns over sodium lauroyl sarcosinate and hydrated silica are unjustified. I was unable to find any strong research that indicates a health hazard with either substance. There appears to be some confusion with the far more dangerous sodium lauroyl sulfate, which definitely has some issues, but I don't see any ingredients of concern in this product (I'm a chemistry instructor). Besides, you can see the ingredient list before you buy, so no one should be complaining about it as though they didn't know...

Cleans well. Tastes great. Gentle on my gums.

Posted by ShaktiSophia on Aug 17, 2012 | Verified Purchase

This new formula is really healthier : it no longer contains sodium lauryl sulfate. It leaves my teeth feeling really clean. It is gentle on my sensitive gums and sometimes sensitive teeth. I love the anise flavor that is from natural extract, fresh and refined.

Nature's Gate, Natural Toothpaste, Creme de Anise

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 11, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I've used this for years. I'm 57 yr. old, dentists can't believe how healthy my gums are. I love the taste!

Nature's Gate Toothpaste, Creme de Anise

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 04, 2008 | Verified Purchase

The best - addicted to the flavor and it's gentle not abrasive.

Toothpaste

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 24, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I love the flavor of this toothpaste. It leaves the mouth feeling fresh and very clean, and the taste is superb, especially if one enjoys anise. It is fluoride free, which is a big plus.

Excellent product!! from Gibraltar

Posted by joebonfi on Jun 28, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Nice fluoride free toothpaste! and free of parabens. Nice taste of Anise!! recommended. Fast, prompt DHL delivery and excellent service from iHerb. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks iHerb you got a satisfied customer

WARNING!!! NEW VERSION! Much LESS FLAVOR!!!! NEW INGREDIENTS

Posted by HealthMinded71 on Dec 29, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Included important NEW info! Please read: I have been using this toothpaste for at least 6 years now and have always LOVED the anise flavor. Well, I just received my latest order last night and am so disappointed. First thing I noticed was the new packaging on box and the tube itself is also different. Not as firm and sure looks alot smaller even though it still says it's 6oz. Says "New Improved!" Anyway, I opened it and didn't smell the anise at all and when I used it, I was so disappointed! You can't even taste anise in it at all now! :( HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! That is what I loved about this toothpaste....the flavor! It does feel lighter and more foamy and seems to work the same, not sure if it functions better as of now, but the lack of anise flavor is very disappointing. You can almost taste it if you search for the flavor.......you'll barely find it there. Now that I've told you about the flavor loss, I need to let you know that the ingredients are all COMPLETELY different as well! Here is the NEW box description of ingredients that iherb has not listed as of yet: "Calcium Carbonate, Glycerin, Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Carrageenan, Illicium Verum (Anise) Oil, Quillaja Saponaria (Soap Bark) Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Sodium Bicarbonate, Hydrated Silica, Calcium Glycerophosphate, Bisabolol, Sodium Chloride.". Now, as you can see, there are alot of new ingredients AND they took out the Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate! So, that is great! For those that need to know the other info it is: Fluoride Free, Paraben Free, Sulfate Free, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate FREE, No artificial colors, No artificial flavors or sweeteners, No animal by-products or testing. It is a cruelty free and vegan product. I am definitely going to write NG and tell them of my disappointment of the flavor change, but will probably continue to use it unless I find another anise toothpaste I like better. I have tried other versions and have tried the fennel flavor in other brands too and nothing even came close to the bright anise flavor this once had. I like the other changes they made for sure, but just wish it had the flavor back. Edit to say I emailed iherb to let them know about the new ingredients and they say they will correct it to show the new info.

don't know

Posted by ReputableReviewer on Sep 21, 2011 | Verified Purchase

don't know, so so, though I like perfume with anyse, but this toothpaste with anyse is horrible in taste. But I am never complaining about taste if product is good, but this product is not perfect, no big useful effect.