Cadmium contamination

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 18, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I've been eating Navitas cacao products for several years now (mostly the nibs, though, lately, not the powder). I was horrified to read the Consumer Lab report that just came out. It found extremely high levels of cadmium (though no lead, at least), in Navitas Naturals cacao powder. Alas, I will be switching brands.

Navitas Naturals, Organic, Cacao Powder, Raw Chocolate Powder, 16 oz (454 g)

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 05, 2015 | Verified Purchase

Just heard this powder has high levels of cadmium powder so will definitely not order again! It is a pity as it tastes fine.

Cacao powder testimonial

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 04, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I have been using this product for several months. It is extremely effective at controlling my hypertension. I haven't had to use statins forr several years now. Before treatment with statins, my blood pressure was somewhere around 140/90. The best I was able to achieve using statin prescription medicine was around 130/90. My blood pressure levels are now consistently around 120/80 using the raw cacao powder.

Dark as a Cup of Coffee Raw Chocolate

Posted by wholefoods on Aug 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I bought a bag of this product intending to use it as a sweet chocolate cocoa mix, like the kind grandma used to make. When I put the powder into a coffee mug and stirred it, it ended up tasting more like a cup of dark coffee. Not that that is a bad thing. There isn't anything sweet about this product. It is very dark tasting and bitter. At first I couldn't get used to the taste. Now, I drink a cup or two a day at work in place of coffee. I appreciate that this product is filled with iron, magnesium, protein, fiber, healthy fats, and a host of antioxidants. It also makes me feel calm after drinking a cup, probably a combination of the caffeine and other components of the raw cacoa. Also, because Navitas specializes in whole foods products, including cacoa in all its manifestations, I trust the quality. Highly recommended!

Absolutely delicious and invigorating

Posted by ludvig on Jul 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Tried to make hot chocolate with this... It was so delicious... so euphoric... What I did was to mix two table spoons with this powder, two equal parts with coconut crystals, and then filled up the cup with warm milk... stirred it... and there I was: in Chocolate Heaven!

No Longer RAW

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 11, 2015 | Verified Purchase

I've always enjoyed Navitas Cacao Powder for both taste and quality. I was surprised and disappointed to see that my latest package no longer says, "Raw Cacao". Although their website says "processed with low heat", it's apparently no longer their commitment to keep it low enough to be labeled raw. I'll be reading the labels of trusted brands more carefully and buying my cacao elsewhere from now on.

Great for coconut chocolate

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 24, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I used this product to make coconut chocolate; it turned out great! Good quality and taste. Some of the negative reviews concern bitter taste. Raw cocoa powder is bitter. Some kind of sweetener is required to make it more palatable.

Cacao Powder

Posted by anncha on Sep 07, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Love it... I`ve made healty"icecream" with it, and it taste reeeaally good.. But make sure you don`t use to much, it`s better to use less than you think and then add a bit more if you need to..

Going to buy the nibs

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 11, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I have bought this brand many times and love it! But, I just read an article about cacao powders. It said, "One of the products tested by ConsumerLab was Navitas Naturals cacao powder. They found .950 ppm cadmium in the Navitas sample. There is no nutritive benefit to cadmium -- it is a toxic heavy metal linked to kidney damage, cardiovascular disease, skin disorders and more." The Natural News Lab showed similar numbers. I am going to try the cacao nibs which have lower concentrations.

IT IS NOT RAW

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 31, 2016 | Verified Purchase

Raw cacao powder is actually better for you and THIS IS NOT RAW!!! Bad product! After receiving my product, I saw a warning alert that eating too much of these is bad for your reproductive system. WILL NOT PURCHASE AGAIN.