Sleeping Better, Eating Better

Posted by HawaiianViking on Sep 14, 2012 | Verified Purchase

After taking 100mg of 5-HTP for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. My sleep is much improved; Within about an hour of taking a 100mg capsule of 5-HTP I'm relaxed, sleepy and ready for bed but, thankfully, it's not the same feeling that a person gets after taking a prescription sleep aid. In my waking time, I find that I have little craving for junky, carbohydrate-laden foods. I'm thankful especially that I no longer have a late-night hunger for sugary junk food. My mood hasn't much changed, but depression — of the type caused by brain chemistry — can be a result of a defecit of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Serotonin. Since 5-HTP works by stimulating the human body's own production of Serotonin, I think that a person must have depressed levels of Serotonin in order for this product to make much difference in their overall quality of life, since depression can involve other neurotransmitters. To those who already take prescription anti-depressants: Please be careful! Consult with your medical professional, since 5-HTP — together with SSRIs — can create dangerous levels of Serotonin in the brain and cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Be careful...

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 20, 2010 | Verified Purchase

This was great, I felt happy and in a great mood from only a couple of days being on it. I love it! I only give it 3 stars because after being on 5-HTP for about four weeks I started feeling this strong tingling all over my body, feelings like you get when you hit your funny bone, too. I was taking 100mg per day, then I decided to give it up and the tingling (slowly) went away. I found out that I was getting a Serotonin overload so be careful, do not take the 100mg to start specially if you are weaning off medication for depression (I was on Prozac) 5-HTP can be toxic at high doses! I will try taking the 50mg once a day. Hopefully that will help. I will write my review there too.

Helps with depression

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 25, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I take three of the 100 mg. capsules a day and it has really helped with depression. I didn't notice the full effects until about 2-3 weeks, so try to hang in there if you don't feel that it's benefitting much. This was a last attempt before trying another anti-depressant. I was previously on Celexa to help with mood swings/depression while taking high doses of prednisone. I believe this works nearly as well and doesn't have the Celexa side-effects of weight gain and mild personality changes.

Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 08, 2013 | Verified Purchase

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.

Cures the blues

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 02, 2008 | Verified Purchase

On the recommendation of other reviewers (thanks) I gave this- in combo with GABA- a try and it helped me. I am going through menopause and trying to stay off HRT. Give it a try. It's cheaper than a shrink and big pharma drugs. You may need those to be sure, but trying this first might do the trick.

5-HTP IS A LIFE SAVER!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 21, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I truly feel like this product has changed my life. I suffer from six subtypes of ADHD and this product has helped me beyond belief. As part of my symptoms, typically I can get locked into negative thought paterns, obsessive thinking and various other mental stresses but thanks to 5HTP I can safely say, my thinking has become more positive and feel like i can process my thoughts more easily. My obsessiveness has gone from a 10 to a 4. Thanks IHERB!

So far, so good...

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 13, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I'm taking 5-HTP due to IBS-d and depression with anxiety attacks. I've suffered with this for 23 years. I recently came across some research from the late 1990's about serotonin deficiency that causes IBS-d along with depression, anxiety attacks, insomnia, etc. In the last 6 weeks I have taken Kamut Wheatgrass, NOW's 5-HTP, NOW's Pancreatin, NOW's Gr9-Dophilus and NOW's Acetyl-L Carnitine. My IBS and sleep has improved and my depression with anxiety attacks has been marginalized. I've ordered all of this from iHerb.

Helps with depression

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 11, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I have had a lifelong struggle with depression, but refused to take artificial antidepressants because of side-effects. 5-HTP is a natural chemical found in foods like turkey. It is a precursor to seratonin, so it gives my body what it needs to make more seratonin, rather than stopping the brain cells from taking it out of the bloodstream. I have not been depressed since I started taking 5-HTP about 3 years ago. I recommend it to everyone who deals with depression. (Though, it isn't appropriate for people who are biopolar. And you shouldn't take it if you are on certain types of medicine.) There is a lot of great literature available. I recommend educating yourself and trying it if you suffer from depression or anxiety, want to lose weight, or quit smoking. It helps with all kinds of serotonin-related problems.

Not as much of an old, grumpy man

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 02, 2006 | Verified Purchase

My daughters told me that I was becoming an old, gumpy man. I have been taking one dose in the morning for several weeks. They told me the other day I was MUCH more fun to be around!

Very Bad Dreams

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 01, 2009 | Verified Purchase

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.