Help

The best product I have ever taken!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 12, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I used to suffer from clinical depression, however, for years I didn't respond to any of the conventional medications. After a long research I learned about 5HTP and I have been taking it on and off for 15 years now. I don't suffer from chronic depression anymore but every once in a while I might get an episode here and there, and when that happens I take 5HTP. I take 50mg 1hr before I go to bed with a glass of water (from all the research I have done it's not recommended to have milk because it might interfere with the absorption). From my research it is recommended a person starts taking 50mg for 5 days then if needed go up to 100mg. I have always taken 50mg; it has worked the best for me. I'm not a doctor, but I am a person that knows quite well what it means to suffer from depression for many, many years and when all medications failed, 5HTP always helped me. And the best part is that it's all natural and you see results immediately. Many blessings to you on your journey to recovery. claudia

Great for serotonin-related depression

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Works nearly as good as the Effexor antidepressant that I used to take. You need to take a break from it now and then, I usually take 2 days off a week. It makes me much less hostile towards other people and more lighthearted, good for self-confidence as well. If you're taking it long-term, you usually need to balance it out with something for dopamine like L-Tyrosine in the morning as well though as dopamine and serotonin balance each other out in the body. Otherwise you may make your dopamine low which may make you feel depressed, tired or spacey. So if your depression is caused by low dopamine and not low serotonin, this may make you feel worse. As long as you know how to take it properly, it's a great supplement. To make it work properly, you should take a Vitamin B complex or a multivitamin in the morning as well.

Great product!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 11, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I bought 5HTP to calm my nerves and hopefully get a decent night sleep. Ar first, I was confused whether to take it at night or in the morning. After trying both times, I discovered it was best to take at night, get a great night sleep and still be somewhat calm during the following day. The bonus is it stopped my nervous eating habits.

5-htp - Good Stuff!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 20, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I decided to stop using Prozac & my friend said I could use 5-htp instead. I just started the 5-htp & already I have no more debilitating headaches. Also, I'm starting to shed the unwanted pounds I gained from the Prozac. I know I must be patient to give the 5-htp more time to really get into my system, but I feel like it will take care of the depression without the side effects I experienced with Prozac. I'm grateful to my friend for letting me know about 5-htp. iHerb.com sends their products out in a very timely manner, as well.

htp is awesome

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 29, 2008 | Verified Purchase

5-htp is great for hot flashes (menopause), depression symptoms, mood enhancement, etc. I highly recommend it. I know of people who have weaned themselves from anti-depressants and are now taking htp with no side effects. They are very pleased with the results.

Sleeping so much better now

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 26, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I've been taking 5-htp for some time now,on and off, for sleep issues (waking a lot, not staying in a deep sleep, not sleeping at all. you name it). It wasnt until this particular brand that I have had consistent sleep now for almost a month (first time in years). I still wake some, but my sleep is deeper and I actually dream. And less grogginess during the day--more energy. I've only been taking one 50mg a night, about an hour before bedtime. So far so good!

Great Product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 14, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I was suffering from severe anxiety along with depression a few months ago but was hesitant to try the SSRI's that would have been prescribed by my doctor (I've heard nothing but horror stories about side effects, etc.) I thought I'd try 5-htp as a last ditch measure before going on an SSRI, and am I ever glad I did. The only side effects I had were over the first few days, just sleepiness, which was tolerable after I cut back the dose a little. When the sleepiness subsided, I faithfully continued to take 2 of the capsules a day, one in the am, the other before bed. I honestly felt no effect from them for about 4 weeks...and then it was like the sun came out. I feel energetic and optimistic yet relaxed, all the more remarkable because it's December and even at my best, I'm prone to mild SAD-like symptoms at this time of year. I am so happy I tried 5-htp.

Use Everyday

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 18, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Recommended for O blood types by Dr. D'Adamo. Makes a huge difference in my dopamine levels! Feel horrible without it. No anxiety now.

Very good product!

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 13, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I use 2 in the afternoon if I am feeling stressed and two 30-60 minutes before bed to help produce a restful sleep. 5-HTP definitely relaxes me and gives me a sense of well being and balance. 50mg make it easy to adjust doses. I add GABA 100mg for a deeper sleep and during very stressful periods of time.

worth every penny and then some

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 31, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I am so very grateful I found this product! Severe PMDD was completly ruining my life for 2-3 weeks every single month. I turned into a complete emotional wreck, touchy about every little thing, angry beyond belief and super depressed! I started taking just 50mg right at bedtime and what a huge difference! I feel so much more sane and in control. As a matter of fact, my fiancee did not even realize what part of my cycle I was in until I mentioned it to him!