Great in Malted Milkshakes and New York Bagels

Posted by rabbit on Jun 30, 2012 | Verified Purchase

This has a mildly sweet and unique taste that can only be described as malty. It's a very fine powder that gets your hands a little bit sticky after you touch it. As a vegan, before finding this barley malt, it had been a very long time since I had last tasted a malt - otherwise known as a malted milkshake in some parts of the world. I thought that the only way to make one was to use malted milk. Well, that has animal products in it making it unsuitable for a vegan. Now, I just mix this barley malt with Better Than Milk Vegan Soy Milk Powder (also sold on iHerb) to make my own vegan malted milk! To make a milkshake, blend some of the homemade vegan malted milk with some vegan ice cream and you've got yourself some malted awesomeness. I also use a little of this barley malt when making homemade New York style bagels. It adds a mild hint of sweetness and flavor to the dough. My next experiment will be malted milk balls like Whopper's. This is great stuff! I totally recommend this product.

Good

Posted by opheart on Aug 28, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I bought it for bread-making. And I'm satisfied.

Yippie, I can have Malted Milk again - Dairy Free of course

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 19, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I searched high and low for a way to make dairy free malted milk and finally found a recipe. Thanks to Now Foods barley malt sweetener, I am able to make malted milk (using rice milk with coconut milk and dairy free chocolate) as well as make chocolate fudge pops with my popcycle maker. May seem silly to some, but with 2 special needs kids that have severe food allergies, this is icing on the cake for us. Thanks iHerb! Linda Walsh

great find

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 20, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I used to buy another brand no longer available. I use this ingredient for a particular dish. So glad to find you carry it. Thanks!

Very good!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 18, 2010 | Verified Purchase

We used this to replace half the sugar in our pancake mix and it was so good!

yum

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 31, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I am using this as a sweetener in my smoothies because I love the malt taste.

Barley malt

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 04, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I am not sure if it is the taste of the barley malt or the whole wheat flour, but so far myrecipes do not have a good taste. However, I am far from giving up so I will try again.