Help

Fair Substitute for Cocoa Powder

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 05, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Substitute for cocoa in chocolate cake. Use a full cup for a 2-layer cake if you want that sinfully-rich effect. However, be prepared to really play with a classic cake recipe to get a chocolatey flavor. Use less sugar, because carob is sweeter than cocoa. Add acidity and bitterness, because believe it or not, part of what chocoholics love about chocolate is that it has very complex components like that. I add sour cream and a tablespoon of instant coffee, then blend super-well. Remember, you can always use decaffeinated coffee.

Absolutely delicious

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 09, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I have tried a few other carob powders but that is the best of all.The flavor is just amazing.Thank you so much

Great flavor

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 07, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I love carob, and I was very impressed with this brand. If you expect carob to be the same as chocolate, it's not. It's much more "malty" and can be substituted where you'd use cocoa powder, but definitely isn't the same. I actually prefer carob to cocoa (no caffeine jitters!) and would definitely buy this brand again.

Horrible stuff

Posted by pickier-than-thou on Feb 25, 2010 | Verified Purchase

The only thing that resembles cocoa is the color. I tried to drink it instead of hot chocolate but it feels and tastes like dirt or clay with a hint of cheap expired coffee - no way I could swallow that. Lucky me, I've spoiled my favorite cookie recipe with it as well!

rancid

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 28, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I added stevia and milk but it was rancid -- had to throw out the entire bottle. I like Now Foods products, but after literally gagging on this one I'll definitely never buy this product again.

Burned flavour

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 04, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I did not really like this. It had a burned flavour that I didnt care for.

This does not taste good

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 08, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I use a tiny bit when making chocolate, but you don´t need this. Tastes aweful on it´s own.

Dislike

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 27, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I have no idea what to do with this stuff. It smells awful, and when i used it instead of cocoa or cacao it tasted horrid.

Great carob

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 11, 2016 | Verified Purchase

This is actually the only carob I have used but I really like this stuff. It tastes better than cocoa actually, and what I usually use it for is making coconut oil chocolate, by mixing some crushed nuts, coconut oil, carob, cocoa and some stevia together and putting it in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Instant chocolate which tastes amazing! The carob is an essential part, because of it's sweet flavor.

very good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 13, 2010 | Verified Purchase

very good. its like cacao powder. can use it in cake, hot chocolate or anywhere else. good good good =)