Decreases brain swelling during hyponatremic encephalopathy

Posted by PurplePegasus on Dec 27, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have life-threatening brain disease and this is the supplement for that for me. I often wake up disoriented, confused, unable to speak intelligibly, and with a certain kind of brain pressure which I recognize as encephalopathy brain swelling caused by liver disease and lack of sodium, which my body does not retain. Unfortunately, as my illness has progressed and I fear might be at the last stages, I can no longer sleep thru the night, I wake up every 3-4 hrs to ingest electrolytes/sodium. When I wake up with the emergency symptoms, I need to take this on empty stomach ASAP. These symptoms are gone within a half hour. Using this in combo with electrolyte replenishment works a lot better than sodium only. As a bonus, this product has caused me quite a bit of weight loss and muscle gain, which is a feat in itself after cortico-steroids had catabolized my muscle tissue several years ago and nothing worked to regain muscle tone; also considering I cannot exercise due the hyponatremia (low blood sodium), this is pretty impressive. Please note: aminos must not be taken with milk, they must be taken on an empty stomach and a good 1/2 hr to 1 hr before meals and B6 is typically necessary to activate (although I usually take it by itself and have B6 later in the day. This works fine for me). Hope this review helps someone out there with the same condition.

Great for sleep

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 26, 2010 | Verified Purchase

I have CFS and this helps me sleep( along with other things). It also removes ammonia from the blood. My DR did a urine test in the morning and found It was indeed removing ammonia from my body. I take 1-2 at night.

Ammonia removal but beware if you have had shingles!

Posted by WildSweetVermont on Jun 26, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Often used by body builders and atheletes to help build muscle mass, L-Ornithine also helps the body to release ammonia. It's a precursor to human growth hormone, can help with insomnia, etc. L-Ornithine and L-Arginine can activate latent herpes/shingles, so please be aware especially if you have had trouble suppressing outbreaks. Please do your research as you will probably not want to supplement with L-Arginine or L-Ornithine if you have ever had an ocular (eye) outbreak. Always consult with your doctor/health team before adding any supplement that could interfere with your medications or if you have any medical conditions that could be worsened. Take good care of yourself!

It helps me sleep

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 30, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I bought this to help me sleep while I was doing a liver cleanse. I use it now even when I'm not. It seems to help me sleep more soundly and I don't wake up groggy like with stronger sleep aids.

Two Thumbs up!

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 25, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Along with a slew of vitamins (b6, Zinc, b5 etc etc), I've already been using the amino acids prescription Tryptophan, L-Glycine, Taurine and Glycine to treat my pyroluria/lyme and these have greatly helped with my panic attacks,insomnia,major fatigue, but I still felt I needed more.. I then bought the Ornithine and I take 1 capsule with every meal and find that it added that extra punch. I feel pretty calm and relaxed throughout the day, and at night I'm starting to sleep like a baby. Delivery was super fast. The only down side is the COD charges, which is not iherb's fault.

Great for Sleep

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 20, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I often suffer from insomnia due to stress. This helps me to turn off my overly active brain at night and get to sleep more easily. I've run out on a few occasions, and I can tell the difference.

L-Ornithine 500 mg

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 26, 2011 | Verified Purchase

My husband and I use this to help us sleep, with no side effects. It seems to help quiet our brains when overstimulated.

works

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 02, 2009 | Verified Purchase

good for neutralizing the ammonia in your blood generated by parasites and helping you sleep. Works well. But you gotta take like 6 of them. Now foods is one of the better brands I've found.

Great Product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 23, 2009 | Verified Purchase

Helps with removing amonia from body when you've gone beyond acidic.

Now Foods, L-Ornithine, 500 mg, 120 Capsules

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 27, 2008 | Verified Purchase

My nurse practitioner suggested I use two of these at bedtime as I needed to go off my anti anxiety medication. I works wonderfully! Also, 1, 30 minutes before an exercise work out helps with muscle soreness and recovery. Stretches help too!