Better than prescription niacin!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 10, 2007 | Verified Purchase

As per dr. orders, my husband has to take 1500 mg. of niacin nightly. Because of rising costs, we decided to discontinue the prescription niacin and purchase the niacin over the counter as recommended by the pharmacist. The dr. really frowned on this choice and then recommended that hubby take cholesteral-reducing man-made medication. Not wanting to risk the side-effects of those type of drugs, we decided to purchase the NOW Niacin as I was familiar with the excellent quality of their products. We proved the dr. wrong when hubby's cholesteral tests came back and his levels had improved while on the NOW niacin. I firmly believe this product is much more beneficial than any prescription medication to reduce cholesteral levels--at least it has with my husband. And we may have converted the doctor to take a second look at "natural" supplements! A great product and even greater value for your money!

Best Time Release Niacin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 04, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I've done a lot of research, and NOW-00482, from Now Foods, seems to be the best time-release Niacin. It is Niacin, it is time-release, and NOW-00482 is cheaper per gram than other Niacin tablets; there is no benefit from taking more expensive Niacin, I've found. Note that the iHerb web site does not mention that NOW-00482 is time-release. NOW-00482 is Niacin, which provides benefits that Niacinamide does not. Niacin will cause flushing of the skin if not taken according to a sensible plan. It is necessary to 1) Start slowly, 2) always take Niacin with a meal, until becoming accustomed to it, and 3) Take 500 milligrams of Niacin with 1 Gram of Vitamin C. Somehow the C helps. I've taken Niacin with C for more than 30 years; I take it because it makes me feel better. Supposedly Niacin lowers cholesterol and provides other benefits; my cholesterol is low. Originally I took Niacin that was not time-release; I experienced no negative effects except that the flushing was sometimes intense; the flushing never bothered me in any other way. I began taking Niacin more than 3 decades ago because there was research showing that it is beneficial. I notice that recently there are articles about Niacin that it may be bad for you. One idea is that maybe discouraging use of Niacin is a public relations attempt to discourage the use of Niacin as a low-cost way of lowering cholesterol. Note that Niacin is also known as Nicotinic acid or vitamin B3. To the iHerb reviewer: Please don't edit this review. Either run it as is, or delete it.

Very potent!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 08, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I started using niacin after watching a documentary about the treatment of depression in orthomolecular medicine. This seems to be very efficient and I can definitely feel a difference. There is still a flushing effect but it is not so unpleasant and it does not last long. To me, it is a minor side-effect compared to the benefits this product brings. I chose this form of niacin instead of niacinamide because niaciamide is reputed to be not as efficient and to cause liver damage. I will definitely recommend niacin!

Niacin and Cholesterol

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 25, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I use the Now sustained release variety of niacin and rarely if ever suffer from Niacin Flush at 1500 mg/day. My lipid panel, especially my triglycerides/HDL ratio, has noticeably improved.

Bonus Benefits!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 21, 2010 | Verified Purchase

My cholesterols have balanced out considerably with additional health bonuses: Reflux and panic attacks have disappeared! Thank you.

No flush at all

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 17, 2008 | Verified Purchase

No flush at all. Have taken one after evening meal along with B-50, 500 mg pantothenic acid. Feel more energy seemingly due to better blood circulation and detoxication by the Niacin. Recommend to take also proline, Lysine and vitamin-C because Niacin along with Vitamin C is a major catalyst for building and repairing heart muscle.

HDL finally increased

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 10, 2007 | Verified Purchase

LDL went down with Lipitor and I'd been taking no-flush niacin instead of prescribed Niaspan. Switched to Crestor in hopes of raising HDL above 40, but it did not happen until I switched to this niacin.

Lowered Triglycerides

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 30, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I've been taking two tablets a day for 6 months as my doctor suggested. My triglycerides went from 457 to 175 in the six-month period. I strongly recommend this product. It worked for me and I will continue to take it.

Niacin

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 29, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I call it NiaSIN...cause it's a sin to be without it! Haha. Just kidding. This stuff is good & effective; potent...you can feel it.

Time-Release 500 mg Niacin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 07, 2009 | Verified Purchase

This product seems to work as well as any of the other brands out there. I take 2000 mg per day, as per my doctor, to raise my "good" cholesterol, which has increased 33% since starting a Niacin regime ;>) I readily admit that I use this product in particular because it is far less expensive than any others I have found.