Excellent activated form most of us need

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 21, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Sixty percent of people are either heterozygous or homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism, meaning regular folic acid is not only useless, but potentially harmful because it blocks absorption of the meagre amounts of methyl folate we receive. Methyl folate, as the activated form, completely bypasses this problem. Methyl folate is so important for methylation pathways, and a lack can contribute to depression, elevated homocysteine levels, CFS/ME, fibromyalgia, heart disease, fertility problems, and a host of other degenerative conditions. This product is so important, particularly since most supplements are full of folic acid which as I said above can cause more harm than good. Everyone should be taking this instead. Highly, highly recommended. Thanks for stocking it iHerb!!!

Superior form of methlyfolate

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 02, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I found this superior to Thorne's 5-MTHF. I tried Thorne's since it's in capsules which I usually prefer but surprising didn't feel the positive effects that had been experiencing with Solgar. I switched back to Solgar and immediately felt better once again. The chemical composition is different and for me at least, made a difference. The Solgar brand really helps my gut inflammation and clears up headaches but for me needs to be taken and kept in balance with methyl b 12 and the other b vitamins. I will crash and experience muscle weakness if taking metafolin alone but it's a tremendous help if I balance it correctly with sublingual methyl b12 and the other b vitamins.

A must when using B12! ♥♥♥ Click on my username for more reviews and information! ♥♥♥

Posted by gettingwell on Jun 09, 2010 | Verified Purchase

This is important to use if you are using the methyl-B12 or the adeno-B12 because it acts as a donor. Folic acid is not going to help; this is what you would want. Also adding NAC is a benefit too to support memory. Solgar has a great line of products. iherb gets my order to me within 2-3 days!!! Click on the yes button if you found this review helpful just to let me know.

Potent product on acceptable price.

Posted by TinVal on Aug 19, 2012 | Verified Purchase

L-methylfolate - the active form of folate in the blood and the only type that can cross the blood-brain barrier. Unlike regular folic acid, Metafolin does not require enzymatic conversion to L-methylfolate in the body. By providing L-methylfolate directly, this patented form of folic acid may have benefits for those who do not produce enough L-methylfolate in response to folic acid supplementation. For those who take proper doses of vitamins B12 and B6, and TMG (trimethylglycine), but still suffer from higher-than-optimal homocysteine, Metafolin may be the solution. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The only one problem with this item is that Solgar company uses so many ingredients(magnesium stearate, mannitol, stearic acid) which hinder the absorption of active ingredient.

Super nutrition for the 21st century.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 05, 2009 | Verified Purchase

A fine product to ward off headaches, malnutrition, and mild depression. Especially effective against high homocysteine levels when combined with TMG and a good all-around B complex vitamin formula.

Necessary for anyone with high blood pressure.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 12, 2010 | Verified Purchase

The American heart Association ran a study showing this reverts high blood pressure. This is the active form of folic acid. I have two gene mutations which prevent me from breaking down folic acid to the active form, causing high blood pressure. This is the solution.

Excellent Product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 22, 2009 | Verified Purchase

My husband drags unless he takes B vitamins daily, and even that is sometimes not enough. I read that adding a large dose of folate helps the other B vitamins be more reactive. I don't know if this is true or not, but thought I may as well try it. My husband says it has made a huge difference in his energy level. Thanks for this product!

Totally satisfied.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 03, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I was told by a neurologist that I had worked for about this product along with Methyl B and take them together. I found a significant difference and improvement in my overall being, ESPECIALLY poor sleep and bouts of depression and anxiety that I no longer have.

Not sure about these.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 20, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Some people seem to need this form of folate, but for me they seem to cause problems after a week to ten days of taking them. Basically I just get a toxic flu like feeling. Too many methyl donor's seem problematic for some of us. If you need this form, they are very good, but if you don't have the mthfr polymorphism (can't convert folic acid), then these just provide too much methyl.

The Best of the Best

Posted by Freddds-Active-B12-Folate on Feb 23, 2011 | Verified Purchase

The Solgar Metafolin tablets are so superior in my experience to any amount of folic acid or folinic acid that it was obvious the very first day. Lifelong angular cheilitis at the corner of my lips which is a mass of scar tissue now started healing immediately, the skin around my nails and finger and toe tips stopped peeling and was healthy pink skin and I started dreaming normally again for the first time in decades. Despite both methtylb12 and adenosylb12 and lot of other things helping, this kicked my tissue healing into high gear.