No thanks - may worsen CFS, adrenal dysfunction, MCS, et al

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Jan 14, 2013 | Verified Purchase

Genistein inhibits two crucial enzymes - 3-beta-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase (3B-HSD) and 21-hydroxylase. These enzymes are responsible for converting cholesterol to progesterone and cortisol. 3B-HSD also affects synthesis of other hormones. Inhibiting the aforementioned enzymes has repercussions for energy production, among other things - especially if there are any other issues with synthesis/conversion of cholesterol (e.g. lacking nutrients, defective pathway). Genistein may therefore worsen CFS/adrenal dysfunction. Tyrosinase is a copper enzyme. 'Increased manganese intake impairs the activity of copper metallo-enzymes' - from The Clinical Effects of Manganese by E. Blaurock-Busch, PhD - if your goal is to inhibit tyrosinases, you could try taking manganese instead (it's cheaper). Some other options are turmeric (also inhibits tyrosinases, e.g. tyrosine hydroxylase), chick peas (aka Garbanzo Beans, contain same isoflavones, though less of). If any/all of those things cause you to feel awful - then inhibiting tyrosinase is not such a good idea and/or there's possibly an iron issue. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

Chronic EBV

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 15, 2007 | Verified Purchase

Genistein was shown in a small study to block tyrosine kinase, an enzyme that is activated in CEBV. This product has saved me, enabling me to return to work. I've been taking it for almost two years.

Life Saver!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 24, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I was suffering from horrible night sweats and hot flashes. Nothing esle had worked. Within one week of taking Genistein 3 times a day, systoms were 95% eliminated!!!

best value for soy isoflavones - try other herbs for hot flashes and hormone balancing as well(read) :...

Posted by PracticalReviews on Nov 09, 2012 | Verified Purchase

one tablet keeps the hot flashes away.there is no doubt that soy is far better than pharmaceutical hormones as pharma's have a severe side effects as swelling parts in the body etc.. but there is also an open argument about side effects of soy,this one is none genetically modified which is good but we should also consider other natural herbs for woman hormone balancing and hot flashes other than isolated isoflavones derived from soy. such herbs could be Black cohosh ( Cimicifuga racemosa ) , Angelica ( Angelica archangelica ),Angelica sinensis ( Dong Quai ), Anemarrhena asphodeloides ( Zhi Mu ) , Wild Yam Root ( Shan Yao ) , Cypripedium pubescens ( Lady’s slipper ),Asphodelus ramosus ( Tall asphodel ) or even Salvia officinalis ( Sage ) or Maca ( Lepidium meyenii ) which ever works for you :).even Astragalus membranaceus ( Huang Qi )has high content of natural isoflavones in it so i consider switching to it in the near future for its vast amount of other benefits in addition to the isolated isoflavones....you are welcome to rate & read my other reviews

awesome

Posted by smalldosesofvain on Mar 13, 2012 | Verified Purchase

another great product from source naturals.

Source Naturals, Genistein, Soy Complex, 1,000 mg, 120 Tablets

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 18, 2011 | Verified Purchase

To keep estrogen levels in check

good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 05, 2011 | Verified Purchase

i bought this product for my mom, and she said the tablet is not easy to swallow but effective.

Excellent addition to my husband's prostate cancer fighters.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 06, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Genistein is part of my husband's regimen of cancer fighters.

Excellent! (Not for me after all...)

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 04, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Thank you Source Naturals and iHerb for carrying this convenient 1000mg Soy complex. I trust I`ll notice improvement in my perimenopausal emotional rollercoaster in a few weeks- so far I`ve only taken them for about a week- but with these excellent ingredients I feel taken care of! Update: I feel I owe an update to my fellow menopausal sisters because hot flashes etc are no joke: Unfortunately these did nothing particular for me, so sorry to say! I did fare a little better with the Transisions brand, and New Chapter's Estrotone, but not much. But of course- give it a try! We are the same, but all different! ;))

Climacteric problems

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 22, 2008 | Verified Purchase

After 2 weeks no change. Product most likly needs a much longer time to start working and bring a change.

1 2 3 4