40-something with noticeable gray hair

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 08, 2011 | Verified Purchase

I have medium brown hair and first tried the dark brown, then the golden brown Surya Henna color. The dark brown covered gray well but was just a shade too dark for my hair. Then I tried the golden brown and it was the right shade but didn't cover my gray. I knew I was taking a chance though since all the reviews said it highlighted the gray. So, I just tried the light brown today, left it on for 30 minutes and it both covered my gray and left the rest of my hair just a hint darker than my natural color. I love these colors because they are so easy to use. I used a professional stylist to color my hair for years and finally decided to get brave and try these colors, since they have more natural ingredients and it would save me a lot of time and money. My hair is always soft and natural and the color lasts 4-7 weeks in my hair. Love the Surya Henna color!!

Won't go back to chemical dyes!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 15, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I am very fortunate as I am 47 and have a minimal amount of gray sprouting. I have brown hair though so it tends to pop out at me in the mirror. I had tried chemical permanent dyes and temporary coloring but never really liked the color that came out on my hair. I also hated having grow lines! Also, my hair is fine and the color as it came out of the box, really didn't seem to last long. In just a week or two normal washing and the sun had faded it to some artificial equivalent. I had read a lot on the use of henna and the different companies that produce natural hair coloring. I settled on Surya in the end. I was extremely thrilled when I tried it. My hair actually absorbed the color much, much better than chemical dyes and I can't believe how long it has lasted. It has lightened a bit but it still looks natural and beautiful. No grow out line!!!! No one can tell that I am nearing 50 because of Iherb's wonderful, natural products. To be fair, my hair is thick, fine, curly and nonoily, so I actually only wash my hair about three times a week to keep from drying it out. The color may not last as long for hair types that have to wash more frequently but I can't see that it would make a great deal of difference. I don't think I was prepared for how well this dye worked. I have always considered myself a light to medium brunette. I left the dye on for 30 minutes and it worked so well that it was darker than I expected. Next time I will go for the 15 minutes and it should be just right!

Best Surya for light brown hair

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 12, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I used henna for years, but always hesitated to try Surya because of all the ingredients. After a while, I just got tired of maintaining natural henna...the funky smell like the underside of a lawnmower, the rinsing, the mess, the wait. I switched to Surya, or rather I mostly use Surya and sometimes still do real henna. If you are worried about applying Surya to hennaed hair, let me tell you it is no problem. You can alternate with real henna, too, without having green hair or some other henna tragedy (henna users know how the wrong product can gunk up your color). Light brown is good for hair that is light to medium brown, but all the Surya shades I have tried go on darker than expected. This turns my mousy brown hair chestnut, which is a gorgeous color but too dark for my skin. I like to mix it 50/50 with the Ash Blonde.

Fades quickly

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 06, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Easy to use but the colour only lasts about 2 weeks despite using the Surya conditioner (bought separately) after colouring, but not daily.

Good Color and Conditioning

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 20, 2009 | Verified Purchase

This is an easy to use temporary color which has the side benefit of really conditioning my hair. I use a slightly lighter version of my normal hair color. It covers the gray in what looks to me like blond highlights within my dark brown hair. I don't have much gray - silver strands which turn lighter blond/brown with this rinse. I love that it looks natural rather than one solid monotone color. I also like that there's no distinct line as it grows out, so there are no tell-tale roots like permanent colors create. I can usually get two treatments out of one bottle. Great Stuff!

Love it

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 19, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I love this hair Color and it works well on gray hair.

great for gray

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 03, 2009 | Verified Purchase

covers gray hair. They look like natural high lights. just love it. Very good alternative to chemical hair color products.

Wonderful product!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 07, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Safe hair dye that covers grey! Henna is good for your hair, too!

Surya henna, good for gray

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 27, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I've used the light brown, dark brown (really dark auburn) and sometimes either with a touch of black to make them less red. Was looking for something with fewer toxic chemicals than most commercial products. The Surya cream is not as chemical-free as plain henna powder, or indigo powder -- but I've found they don't cover gray well at all -- and the Surya is much better than commercial products that way. Very easy to use, just put cream on, cover, and let sit anywhere from 40 minutes to longer, and wash out. This also definitely conditions hair well. Color does wash out some each time you wash your hair, but I need to redo for roots long before lighter color is an issue. Best product I've found for compromise between no chemicals but practically easy and effective.

The best: color and bright

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 20, 2014 | Verified Purchase

It´s the best I have ever used and I´ve tried a lot. It gives a very special bright and the color is great. If you have white hair you should mixt it with the dark brown. I´ve been mixting up both even with the golden brown to find my best brown. I live it for three hours to have the right color. I´ve found my perfect hair dye. Es el mejor tinte que he probado nunca y he usado un montón. El pelo queda brillante y con un color muy bonito. No cubre bien las canas así que hay que mezclarlo con el castaño oscuro. Incluso con el dorado. Una buena idea es dar el oscuro en la raiz y luego meclar para el resto del cabello. Lo mejor es probar. Ah, y mantenlo 3 horas.