MD sees the Results of Niacin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 09, 2007 | Verified Purchase

I am a doctor and I have seen the results of niacin on cholesterol levels. I have a patient that had a lipid panel of trig = 275, chol = 223, HDL = 34, and LDL = 134 and went to trig = 48, chol = 124, HDL = 49, and LDL = 65. This patient was taking liptor previously to adding niacin to her meds.

excellent product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 07, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Love that it doesn't have a lot of additives or fillers. High quality and cost effective. In terms of the negative reviews about the flush - if you haven't taken a lot of niacin before, definitely work up to this dose - I didn't but then I personally think there are benefits to the flush. But it can be disconcerting the first time. I find the flush is less if I take it with vitamin C.

Needed high strength

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 05, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Great product and one of the few high strenght niacin products on the market. Doctor has recommended 3000mg and I find that this is easy to take 3x a day.

Niacin

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 24, 2008 | Verified Purchase

This is an excellent product. Most Niacin capsules are full of additives that I'm allergic to. This is just Niacin. I take at the direction of my doctor and since switching to this brand, my total cholesterol has dropped to 126 from 165.

What the doctor ordered

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 16, 2006 | Verified Purchase

The only niacin that is as effective as statins to lower LDL and raise HDL cholesterol and safest for the liver is pure crystaline type. Doctor prescribed amounts are in the multigram range (2,000 mg/day for me). Twinlab is by far the best value. The proof is in my very improved lipid profiles.

start with a much lower dose

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 18, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I use this for niacin deficiency. 1/4 of the cap gave me severe flush for 2 hours meaning this is effective and too much for me. I should have started with 50 mg.

Powerful stuff

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 05, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Use with caution. Serious flushing and other side effects common to too much taken at once. I used only 1 pill but mistakenly took on an empty stomach. I will never make that mistake again. Really high quality. have to take only half a capsule at a time.

HDL Booster

Posted by iHerb Customer on Sep 11, 2010 | Verified Purchase

All my research made it very clear that the "slow release" or "non-flush" Niacin was much less effective and potentially much more toxic. Go with the flush - it takes a few weeks to build up tolerance (start with smaller doses and move up to the Twinlab 500s first), but 2 of these a day boosted my HDL from the high 30s to the low to mid 60s. It has remained at that level for over a year with no detectable effect on my liver function. Exercise alone would never get my HDL much above 40. It doesn't work for everyone though - my wife followed my example, and it didn't change her HDL much at all.

My Go-to Formula

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 11, 2015 | Verified Purchase

The flushed skin sensation is something I actually enjoy, and look forward to. It's the very reason I use this form of Niacin – because it dilates the capillaries. And it's the opening-up of those capillaries, which allows increased circulation of nutrients and oxygen. So I take a capsule two or three times a day, depending on the number of meals I eat. I take it with my “Thorne Research Basic Nutrients IV with Copper and Iron,” and other supplements – to insure that my nutrients get delivered to every cell in the body. For that alone – it's worth its weight in gold. But as a bonus, I also find that it's an incredible mood booster, easing the mind and relaxing the lungs – which makes for restful sleep, especially when taken with L-Tryptophan. When I want to rev up my methylation cycle – to increase my cognitive powers, I take a high-dose of methyl-B12 and methyl-folate. When I want to dampen the methylation cycle – for relaxation purposes, this 1000 mg Niacin capsule is my go-to formula.

Very good, but may be too much for some

Posted by philla on Dec 30, 2013 | Verified Purchase

High dose Niacin is therapeutically perpetuated through the work of Abram Hoffer and Carl Pfeiffer, some of the pioneers of ortho-molecular medicine. It acts on many levels in the body, forming coenzyme NADH and facilitating the breakdown of food for ATP/energy. Also recommended for maintaining good HDL/LDL cholesterol level ratios in blood. I was happy with this product, but since I use Niacin in lesser quantities, I will buy their Niacin 500 mg next time. Also, beware that this should be balanced with other B - vits, and since Niacin acts as a Methyl Acceptor (in contrast to -donor), it could be recommended to up your vitamin B6, Folate and b12 to avoid too much methyl draining. Horse pill size caps BTW :)