PLEASE BE CAREFUL - May not be suitable for people with thyroid issues. May also lower zinc, magnesium or phosphorus levels

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Dec 17, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I've recently tried/reverted to a couple of TwinLab products after trying other brands and realising TwinLab use much less filler - their caps are usually VERY small, which I like. Small caps mean less filler and that means less toxic junk. However - I found this dose simply too much in one cap, and because the caps are very small, they're too hard to pull apart in order to take less. I guess you could say this is very effective (or toxic), because I found it to cause an extremely nasty/flat/lethargic/heavy gravity feeling that rendered me unable to move/sliding down my chair/needing to stay horizontal plus nausea that didn't - start - to go away until I took some iodine and zinc to compensate and the iodine/zinc started to metabolise. It was awful - I felt like rubbish for a good few hours. Note that I take iodine every day and zinc pretty much every day, so it's unlikely I'm deficient. I've successfully been taking 50mcg of a different selenium product and this has never happened before, nor did it happen with a liquid selenate I've tried in the past. The thyroid needs selenium to convert thyroid hormone T4 to T3; selenium and zinc are antagonists (which I knew - as are selenium/magnesium) - so either this is a terrible product that simply doesn't agree with me, or I need much less selenium than 250mcg. Most frustrating - I was really looking forward to trying this because it's the same type that's been used in asthma/inflammation/circadian rhythm studies. I wish TwinLab did a 50 or 100mcg cap - I personally feel that would be ideal, because it'd mean other nutrients don't need to be increased/megadosed to compensate. I just don't understand the megadosing thing within the supplement industry - a lot is seldom better. At this point, I'm highly unlikely to take this one ever again - the reaction was that bad that I won't risk it. I'll stick to food and/or cutting a 100mcg tab in half. Suggestion - if you have a health issue that relies on iodine, zinc, magnesium or phosphorus supplementation or struggle with low levels of any of these nutrients - perhaps avoid this selenium at this dose, or open the caps and try taking less initially. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

Sodium Selenite

Posted by noneofyourfrigginbusiness on Jul 07, 2011 | Verified Purchase

If you take selenium to help reduce your risk of cancer, you need to know that not all forms of selenium are equally effective in doing so and that sodium selenite is likely to be more effective than some other forms, including selenomethionine. Selenium has anticarcinogenic effects, which is a major reason why the mineral is taken as a supplement by so many people. A recent paper explains why, in terms of cancer prevention, selenate, selenocysteine, or selenomethionine are less preferable than selenite. The authors explain what they have discovered about how different forms of selenium can exert different cytotoxic effects against cancer cells.

Sodium Selenite for Lymphedema

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 12, 2009 | Verified Purchase

My doctor recommended Sodium Selenite to help control mild lymphedema in my arm. When I take it regularly, one cap twice a day, it really seems to work.

Yeast-free

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 27, 2007 | Verified Purchase

It is the only selenium I have found without yeast.

good

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 31, 2010 | Verified Purchase

you can take more tablets of this form selenite

fred greenwood

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 18, 2009 | Verified Purchase

product decreases insomnia,probably as a result of increasing melatonin effectiveness,so appears to be satisfactory-dose 1mg/day

Twinlab Sodium Selenite

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jun 12, 2008 | Verified Purchase

From what I've learned, it's the best form of Selenium ever. My body seems to like it just fine. Evidently the yeast seleniums do bother me and my gut.

I always thank the staff and Twin Labs CEO.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 16, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I'm Korean. My father had cancer patient. So I'd try to be inorganic selenium. I think it is lucky I met this product. I always thank the staff and Twin Labs CEO. I will often buy. God bless.

works

Posted by kanaca on Dec 21, 2012 | Verified Purchase

I take it for thyroid support. Didn't want to take too much, since it's a metal and can build up in system.

From Washington

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 02, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Glad to find this non yeast selenium. Great iherb service.

1 2 3