kefir

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jan 15, 2011 | Verified Purchase

this stuff is the greatest. by the way, you can use one pack to make up a gallon (2 quarts) of milk, if it's in the same container. i open a fresh carton of milk, put the culture in, mix it with a clean utensil, then reclose it with a rubber band, and set it out at room temperature for 24 hours. no need to heat up the milk and cool it down, etc. the main thing, i think, is not to set the milk in the sun or anywhere where it will get too hot. kefir makes at a temperature lower than yogurt. and when you make it at home and it is really fresh it is better than store-bought.

Excellent product

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 29, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Am very glad I bought this as the Kefir culture I managed to produce has from Yogourmet really helped me overcome some very stubborn gastrointestinal issues. The instructions are rather unhelpful. Do not boil the milk - plain milk straight from the fridge is fine. Another thing not mentioned or pointed out on the label instructions is that the first batch is not likely to turn out well and one won't get the desired Kefir grains. I had to do a second batch derived from part of the first batch to get the grains to grow properly. But the third batch turned out perfect.

CoConut Kefir

Posted by iHerb Customer on Jul 21, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I use these to make Kefir with young coconut water. It works wel and much cheaper than Donna Gates.

The BEST kefir

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 01, 2009 | Verified Purchase

I've tried grains, and I apologize to the purists out there, but this is MUCH creamier and more delicious than any recipe I've tried using "real" kefir grains.

This tops it all

Posted by iHerb Customer on Aug 12, 2013 | Verified Purchase

I can't believe how good this product is. This was my first time making kefir and the result was just amazing. I used 3.5% fat containing milk to get it extra creamy and the result was better than any kefir or yoghurt I ever had. I also was able to make 3 more batches using 1/3 as a starter and I only used 1/2 of the package for 1 liter.

I love this

Posted by iHerb Customer on Dec 27, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Hardcore kefir fans might like the "grains" better, but for me, this is perfect. You can make a new batch of kefir by adding 1/2 cup of a batch into milk - and continue this process for as long as it tastes good. Google it! Makes an even healthier and tastier kefir!

not true kefir

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 23, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I've used this starter for many years. It's not true kefir. True kefir has over 20 strains of probiotic organisms. This has 4 strains. I do agree with other reviewers that not heating the milk gives a better result. I use this to make coconut milk kefir and also to make sour cream using half and half (really good!) I finally bought kefir grains to make milk kefir because I wanted the broader spectrum of probiotics not available in this starter. True kefir is not thick, it is thin. This is more like a thin yogurt. I still give this 5 stars, because it is a reliable product.

Makes twice as much!!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 18, 2010 | Verified Purchase

when I had to eat it with a spoon I decided to use two quarts of milk per packet instead of one, and this makes it sooo very creamy to drink. I place my glass picture on a warm (170 degrees oven) stove top over night. Sits about 24 hours in all.

Taste like biogarde, healthy stuff!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 11, 2008 | Verified Purchase

I don't know how they call Biogarde in English, but if you make this Kefir, it tastes like biogarde. It's a healthy drink and I take it every day after making it myself. When you make this, ou have to let it rest a roomtemperature, or 30 degrees Celcius. But my room is not always warm enough, so I put the kefir (when it has a temperature of 25-30 degrees) in a thermo bottle. It stays the same temperature for 24 days and after putting it in the refrigerator it's ready to drink. You can sweeten it with some stevia.

It turns out very tasty yogurt.

Posted by 0LD-SHAMAN on Nov 03, 2011 | Verified Purchase

It turns out very tasty yogurt. Not sour. It is possible to use the starter again.