July Special - Free International Shipping for orders over $40.00!

Bergin Fruit and Nut Company, Organic Medjool Dates, 14 oz (397 g)

Reviews 1-star

warning : some may be contaminated by Black Scorch disease

Posted by Reviewer1146718 on Aug 13, 2012

I LOVED this dates. This was my second purchase, because I'd been very satisfied with the first one. But a horrible thing happened this morning, while I was driving to my office chewing some dates from this bag. Without seeing, I picked up my second date from the bag, And after the first chew, I smelled this weird stench. I thought it must have been from the outside odor. But on my second chew, it suddenly popped and fumed out a little black cloud of powder – it was a powder of black fungus. I threw the date out of my car window and checked myself on the mirror. There were grains of black powder (fungus) all over me. Around my lips, on my face, neck and my white shirt. I wiped them out with wet tissue, so now they are seemingly gone now, but I’ll be forever disgusted. I googled what it was; it was called black scorch disease. They say it can be identified easily because it contaminates stems, leaves – not only the fruit itself. For me, collecting & putting these infected date palms into the bags and selling them, even they saw the disease all over the date palm trees, it is totally unacceptable. I’m really disappointed with this product and their quality control. If you want to buy these date palms, carefully watch what you’re eating, before you put them into your mouth unless you want to taste the powder of fungus.

Won't buy again

Posted by LantauMama on Apr 09, 2013

Maybe it is the non-airtight bags, but I have had bad luck with these dates - very dry, stringy and some have what I think is mold. No other dates (from other brands) I have had are like these. As a result, I no longer buy these, and buy dates locally instead.