Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Country Life, Gluten Free, R-Lipoic Acid, 100 mg, 60 Veggie Caps

Reviews 2-star

Last few bottles have been polymerized (hardened)

Posted by Reviewer1412707 on Mar 03, 2012

I've been using this for a while, and had been very satisfied. I normally open the capsules and take the powder in divided doses. I immediately noticed something was different with some recently purchased bottles: the contents of the capsules -- in all four recently purchased bottles (all same batch number) -- were essentially solid, instead of the normal loose powder. It was possible to sort of "mush" the solid mass and turn part of it into powder, but only part. The rest was hard clumps. I noticed something else: the normal "bite" on the tongue I notice when taking the powder was mostly -- though not entirely -- absent. I described this to a friend of mine who's a chemist who said that ALA is extremely heat sensitive, and that the shipment probably became "polymerized," and was now mostly worthless (though not dangerous at all). IHerb's excellent customer service refunded my money, so no complaints about IHerb. But I'll be switching to a diff. brand of ALA.

save your money

Posted by Reviewer1246908 on Sep 22, 2011

by far not as effective as the dr's best Na stabilized form. i barey notice anything from this one. i'd say it's only 50% as effective in direct comparison. not worth it for me, sorry.