• iHerb Note about expiration date: The expiration date on Doctor's Best products is written in this format: MM YY (Month Year)

• Reviews | English

Excellent Initial De-tox

Posted by 5581477764951898852 on Dec 03, 2016

We're in our early 60s, and have learned a great deal lately about the gut, toxic fat and estrogens, and all manner of other problems. We've learned about blocked digestion, and the body's natural attempt to solve the problem by craving refined sugar. Refined sugar enters the system almost directly (through the mouth and stomach lining). With blocked or improper digestion, we get almost no nutritional benefit from food we eat, and live on sugars. We started taking these digestive enzymes and within two days, had some cramping. That reduced out in one day, then immediately we "caught a cold." Knowing what was going on, we realized it's all about detoxification, not a "cold." That's been ongoing now, for about 40 days. The symptoms are slowly (very slowly) reducing, and we're feeling tremendously more energy, more overall optimism and vigor, and we've reduced our intake of refined (simple) sugar by about 50-percent. This is an excellent product, but be advised there likely will be some digestive and bowel issues for the first day or so as the upper intestinal tract begins to actually function again. Additional research also shows that no, we don't "stop producing digestive enzymes as we get older." Instead, we block our entire system, and can't access the enzymes the pancreas is naturally producing. Therefore, extended use of supplemental digestive enzymes may, in many situations, move the body towards using them as a "crutch." In other words, unless you know for a fact, from lab tests that you do not produce any of a particular enzyme at all, then use these periodically and try to fix the underlying problems. Note also, that because amylase speeds up carbohydrate digestion, it can cause sugar spikes in the blood.

Pretty Good

Posted by Reviewer2218834 on Feb 04, 2010

These aren't quite as good as Digest Gold, but the price is far better, and they do help. I think I will explore some other brands to find a great price and best digestion help. Still searching.

Jury still out

Posted by Reviewer2480087 on Nov 10, 2009

These seem to help me have less gas.

Good potency

Posted by Reviewer1634009 on Oct 04, 2010

I've tried many digestive enzymes. These seemed to have the highest potency for the dollar amount.

Seems to work

Posted by Reviewer3046934 on Sep 23, 2011

It's so hard to compare enzymes when they sometimes choose to list their ingredient amounts in different units of measurement (FIPS us IU's). I think I might like the Digest Gold Ultra more...but not sure if that's just in my head or not. I do know that I've had a lot of gas recently, and a good enzyme should eliminate that. Thus that is the reason I'm grading these as I am. Some other enzyme formulas had much more of some ingredients and much less of others. It's very hard to do a line by line comparison of the ingredient listing but I have tried to. Just not sure I'm getting out of this brand what I need. The price is way less....and makes me think I may be getting less too, ingredient wise.

Not for me

Posted by Reviewer2605937 on Jan 09, 2008

I hate to be the one that this did not work for, but I found digest gold to be a far superior product than this one for me. I tried this one based on the excellent reviews and little better price, but it only upset my stomach. I still had some digest gold which I had to take to make things better. I am glad it has worked so well for others.

Did not help that much

Posted by 4863148451350813343 on Apr 18, 2015

Taking one cap with heavy meal did not solve my IBS problems and I was quite disappointed after having read so many superlative reviews. I am not ready as other reviewers to take several caps of a same product with each meal as I am afraid that repetitive heavy use might have side effects on the long range. I am trying now different products together (including that one) hoping that a synergistic effect will be more effective. And so far it seems to work. Bottom line: this product by itself is... ineffective for me.

IBS

Posted by 4665641294769116153 on Apr 23, 2015

This product brings my gut back to a balanced state from bouts of constipation or diahorrea. I take 2 capsules whenever things start getting out of kilter and one a day until and my gut settles. This happens quicker than with anything else I have tried. I also take 2 capsules whenever I eat things I know will upset my gut and mostly I get away with it !!

Better than other brands

Posted by Reviewer1812830 on Dec 06, 2009

I previously used Now Super Enzymes product and it did not help with my acid reflux. However, this product in conjuction with organic apple cider vinegar... I'm cured! Seriously, I've had some TERRIBLE acid reflux, burping up undigested food and acid after every meal --- now it's all gone!

product works

Posted by Reviewer1694531 on Dec 07, 2009

In my experience this product helps with digestion especially with hard to digest foods like beans.