Frontier Natural Products, Nutritional Yeast Powder, 16 oz (453 g)

Perfect except for one major thing

Posted by Reviewer1221298 on Jun 06, 2014

The taste is completely addictive and the value is downright impressive. However, like almost every nutritional yeast around, it's fortified with folic acid, the synthetic form of B9, ubiquitously added to food products only since 1998. Recently I found a blog (search 'MTHFR') that cites plenty of research showing that genetic mutations resulting in the inability to effectively convert folic acid to the natural form folate are unbelievably common (in fact it was first discovered in 1999, the very year following the beginning of widespread fortification), and most who have these mutations never find out but often suffer serious long term health complications (since relatively few of us actually avoid folic acid). If this company were to provide a version that left it out, I would never stop buying it, because it's just plain one of my most cherished of foods.

Vegan delight!

Posted by Reviewer1611921 on Apr 23, 2011

Great product--wonderful stuff. It's powdery rather than flakey if that makes any difference to you. It doesn't to me. I use this on salads, stir-fries, and tons of other meals. It's a no-brainer to order this if otherwise unavailable in your area.

Very pleased with this product

Posted by EdieWicker on Jan 04, 2012

This product is recommended by the Weston A Price Foundation so I know that it is of the highest quality available anywhere.

Good

Posted by Reviewer2819821 on Dec 01, 2011

Nothing special but exactly what nutritional yeast is supposed to be. Im happy with the product. I dont like that is comes in a bag but I put it in my own jar and store in in the fridge.

Used in Dr Pitcairn's Healthy Powder recipe for cats

Posted by Reviewer1687524 on Jun 29, 2011

I wanted to try a recipe I found on the Internet for Dr. Pitcairn's "Healthy Powder" nutrient supplement for cats (on a raw food diet). The recipe is made up in bulk and used a few teaspoons at a time in a cat's food: 2 cups of nutritional yeast, 1 cup of lecithin granules, ¼ cup kelp powder, ¼ bonemeal and 1000 mg vitamin C: mix and keep refrigerated. I found all these along with other supplements I wanted to use, namely Vit A and E and taurine, all offered by iHerb. I'm using the powder with canned food mainly b/c there's no time to make the raw food. It's not possible to reach any conclusions on health benefits after only a few weeks but I think I'm seeing increased energy/vitality.