I'm Very Satisfied

Posted by HawaiianViking on Feb 03, 2013

If you're looking for high-quality poppy seed for baking, look no further. Poppy seed purchased in supermarkets is usually dried-out and stale, not to mention nearly tasteless. Frontier Natural Products, Whole Poppy Seed, on the other hand, is nothing of the kind. Possibly because this product is Non-Irradiated, the aroma is satisfyingly earthy and rich, as poppy seed ought to smell but rarely does. While it's not a complaint, I was surprised to find, on closer inspection, that this is actually a mixture of different varieties of breadseed poppy: there are white seeds, brown seeds and black seeds, which makes me curious about the growing and processing of this product.

Good quality, non-irradiated, perfect for baking

Posted by caffeinated on Jan 19, 2016

Good quality poppy seed. It's non-irradiated (irradiation is used to preserve food and kill bacteria, but it also strips them from some of their nutrients). Has a nice earthy nutty flavour. Another reviewer mentioned a peppery/chemical smell. I did notice a strong smell the first time I opened the bag, but it didn't affect my cake. And the smell subsided the next time I used it. I just ordered the Frontier organic poppy seed and it seems to have a milder smell. Will review it once I use it

Fresh

Posted by Reviewer1232563 on Oct 10, 2011

When I opened this bag and smelled the poppy, I thought I was standing in a field. The seeds are very fresh. I plan to use in wheat-free muffins and home-made cakes. Great on top of hot buttered multigrain toast.

Just In Time for Purim

Posted by Reviewer2261586 on Mar 29, 2012

These make fabulous, poppy seed in your teeth Hamentashen!

good price and quality

Posted by Reviewer1192713 on Nov 07, 2012

happy with this one, gonna repurchase for sure, for my special lithuanian christmas coockies;)

This is not poppy seed

Posted by boldogbirka on Jun 11, 2015

Huge disappointment. Smells like peppery parfume, tastes like absolutely nothing - if anything, some bitter chemical taste. I didn't expect this from a product carried by iHerb. :(