Astaxanthin

Posted by kwickset on Oct 14, 2012

Astaxanthin is a fat-soluble, oxygenated pigment called a xanthophyll and a member of the carotenoid family. It has a unique molecular structure that gives it powerful antioxidant function. It is extracted from salmon, microalgae, and Pfaffia, a yeast. Current research shows that due to astaxanthin’s potent antioxidant activity, it may be beneficial in cardiovascular, immune, anti-inflammatory, and neurodegenerative diseases. Specifically it inhibits lipid peroxidation at the cell level; crosses the blood-brain barrier, effecting treatment of ocular, and neurodegenerative diseases such as glaucoma and Alzheimer's; provides significantly more antioxidant capacity than other carotenoids and antioxidants such as beta-carotene and Vitamin E; entraps free radicals by adding them to its long, double-bonded chain rather than donating an electron; stabilizes the cell membrane like a bridge because its polar end groups span the cell membrane, thus increasing its rigidity and mechanical strength; neutralizes singlet and triplet oxygen (de-charges) generated by UVA and UVB radiation and other sources; binds to a lipoprotein, an efficient transport vehicle, making it more bioavailable; increases immune system function including heightened production of antibody-secreting cells and Interleukin 2 and suppression of Interferon-gamma; inhibits reactive oxygen species that cause inflammation; enhances the antioxidant actions of Vitamin E and Vitamin C and encourages the release of Vitamin A from the liver when needed. Astaxanthin has 100-500 times the antioxidant capacity of Vitamin E and 10 times the antioxidant capacity of beta-carotene. Many laboratory studies also indicate astaxanthin is a stronger antioxidant than lutein, lycopene and tocotrienols. I personally take 3 x 4mg per day.

The hit product to try right now

Posted by 5185999147855557324 on Apr 13, 2013

After few weeks of using this I felt my eyesight dramatically improve. I also feel more energetic overall. Still waiting for the summer to test its effect against sunburn.

Does nothing.

Posted by Reviewer1402842 on Oct 06, 2011

I've tried this for a couple of months and can't tell that it does anything.

energy

Posted by Reviewer2578417 on Jun 01, 2011

i think it works great, i have noticed a massive inprovent in my energy levels and i feel much better over all!

happy customer

Posted by Reviewer3282572 on Apr 14, 2011

I checked out and compaired prices and cant find better, plus your low shipping rates cant be beat , will stay with IHERB for my number one choice in quailty .

Astaxanthin

Posted by Reviewer2842299 on Apr 20, 2011

This is the first time I have tried this brand. It's much better priced then what I have been ordering and it has the exact ingredients. I will continue to order this brand. Thanks iHerb for caring this product and for your excellent service.

awesome

Posted by Reviewer2224317 on Sep 29, 2011

This astaxanthin has helped my eyes, and both my husband and I noticed that we don't get even the slightest sunburn anymore!

Great stuff from a great company.

Posted by Reviewer2047490 on Oct 02, 2011

I ordered my item on a sunday afternoon and got my product on wednesday. That was some fast shipping. I love this product it helps me with my arthritis. I will be doing business with this company again. Thanks for the service.

good value....

Posted by Reviewer2550937 on Jul 14, 2011

...I have been taking this for about two weeks - can't say i've noticed anything but I give 1 tiny drop to each cat (muscle tested FIRST!!) and they are crazy over it. will continue to use for several months to see if it helps.

Non GMO!!

Posted by Reviewer3090876 on Aug 07, 2011

Excellent non-gmo product and good value