Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Jarrow Formulas, Organic, Coconut Oil, 16 oz (454 g)

No coconutty taste!

Posted by Reviewer1723143 on Mar 31, 2009

I love coconut, but not in everything - and this is totally tasteless. The texture is not as soft and buttery as the virgin oil so it becomes quite hard when refrigerated. Note that this is produced from the copra, or dried coconut, rather than from the fresh. It actually sautes better, less frothy than the fresh oil.

Good Stuff!

Posted by MikeMember on May 11, 2007

Excellent all around oil. Great for frying and makes delicious popcorn, without adding any coconut flavor to the food.

Nice for cooking

Posted by Reviewer2903784 on Nov 18, 2009

This is a good coconut oil for cooking foods where you don't want a coconut flavour. Of course, low flavour means less of the factors that make coconut oil a great food. it's still a good cooking fat though, as it doesn't oxidise, even at high temperatures or after long storage time.

Fabulous!

Posted by Reviewer1214804 on Sep 10, 2009

Not only do I cook with this, but I eat it straight from the jar, too! I keep two jars in the fridge--I chop them both up into chunks with a knife so it's easy to use a piece for cooking and eating. I'm not crazy about the waxy consistency but I find that if I fill my mouth with ice cold water, it keeps the coconut oil from getting too oily and I'm able to swallow it fairly quickly, before I get too grossed out! I also found that the more I eat, the more I crave it (I eat a tablespoon or two sized chunk each evening before bed). I feel a huge difference physically when I have the oil on a regular basis--I actually feel better and thinner in my tummy and not as bloated (which is a problem I've been having lately).

Good quality, BEWARE metallic label - don't microwave in the plastic container

Posted by Reviewer2994189 on Aug 20, 2012

If stored at room temperature, it is soft enough to spoon it out as needed to measure. I have been making muffins with it and it works very well for that (and/or a bit too oily still when using 1/2 cup per 12 muffins, so will try next only 1/3 cup). However, then I refrigerated it, and when I went to get some it was then rock hard, so I put it in the microwave; and the label has some metal in it for the metallic look, so it melted the plastic container where the label was (not melted through, but warped). So I had to upend the container in a bowl and microwave some more to get all the oil out, and when all melted, transfer to another jar for storage. But even after all that, and storing this stuff at warm room temperature for who knows how long (I don't remember when I bought it), there is NO rancidity, no overt coconut flavor, and it's good. But I wish it came in a glass container with no metallic label, so it could be microwaved as needed and not worry about melting container or possible contaminants from the plastic getting into the oil.