July Special - Free International Shipping for orders over $40.00!

Light Mountain, Organic Hair Color & Conditioner, Dark Brown, 4 oz (113 g)

As good as herbs can be

Posted by katrintheevil on Jul 28, 2013

After reading a couple of prev reviews... Guys!! It's not chemical dye, these are just herbs!! :P So, no, don't count on evenly dyed hair, no, gray strands (yea, do have a few) won't be as dark as the rest of hair. It will wash out relatively quickly, yet-most importantly- won't damage your hair. Yea, it might make your hair gain kind of copper shade in the daylight, especially after some time, since indigo washes out quicker than henna. So... you can't blame this product for just being what it is ok ;) Please read the instructions before you use it, it gives all proper warnings ;) Light Mountain wrote it clear enough in my opinion ;P some advice for those who dare to try for the first time: start with washing thoroughly your hair and scalp with SLS/SLES shampoo withouth oils or silicones. You need to "strip" your hair so you could let henna get inside your hair structure (yea, it does that, that's why they get bit thicker too). Then prepaer the mixture as the instruction says. Using tea/coffee as they suggest is not obligatory- since this one is a mix of henna and indigo i guess messing with pH or leaving the mixture in warm place is not an option- pure henna likes it, indigo hates it., just put it on hair right away :P After keeping it on your hair (could be 30 mins, could be 3 hrs, depends on you...) wash it with water. Don't use conditioner/oil/anything for next 24 (yupp, 24) hours. During that time the color still "develops". Hair will seem dry, especially at the ends, but no worries :). I usually put a rich hair mask/oil 2-3 hours before i can finally wash it after those 24hrs. Next time you use it it can be only applied on your roots. The result: shiny, thicker hair with natural looking effect. As for those familiar with henna/indigo: this product is worth trying, what I wanted was a good quality (no lead or scary stuff one might find in cheap henna :S). Previously I've been using Khadi products, these are slightly pricier, perhaps due to the fact they add a couple of other herbs that also nourish your hair. I will definitely repurchase, turned out the conditioning properties are the same. Next time also going to try "cover your gray" version :)

Natural Hair Color!

Posted by Reviewer2219738 on Dec 29, 2010

I love the Light Mountain Natural Hair Color and Conditioner! I mixed with brewed coffee and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and got a rich brown color. Thanks iHerb! ~Karen

Good but it starts to fade off gradually from 2nd wash

Posted by Reviewer1159597 on Jan 28, 2012

I am an Asian with 50% gray hair. I mixed Light Mountain Dark Brown (2/3) and Black (1/3) to achieve my natural hair colour i.e. Dark Brown. I apply the henna on my hair for 2hrs. The effect is good but I have to touch-up every week as the colour starts to fade from the 2nd wash. I am waiting for my order Shikai, Color Reflect, Deep Shampoo to come, I hope it helps to maintain my colour without the frequent touch-ups. Will review on the product in due time.

Review

Posted by Reviewer1691336 on Sep 19, 2008

It was messy; doesnt smell very good. But the color turned out good. I had unnatural blonde highlights(the colorist went a little crazy with the bleach) since I am pregnant I didn't want to put chemicals on my body. My hair turned out good. Just make sure you follow all the directions. I like this product cause it is all natural and the more I use it the shinier and softer my hair gets.

Response

Posted by Reviewer1106646 on Mar 25, 2009

I have used this product for over 20 years and I absolutely love it.