Navitas Naturals, Organic, Maca Powder, Raw Maca Powder, 16 oz (454 g)

yummmm

Posted by Reviewer2746709 on Oct 17, 2007

I have liked the conversations I have had with these people about their product, and I trust it more than some others. Have been using maca daily for over a year, and I think it has helped a lot with menstrual issues and stamina. I love the taste and use it in smoothies and puddings and such.

It's very good for me

Posted by Reviewer2719565 on Nov 22, 2008

I am a 55 y.o. woman in New Zealand. It helps with my hot flushes. If I don't take it one day, I feel the difference. It does give me energy, I believe. I take 1 teaspoon every morning, and I can sleep better also.

Ancient Incas' best kept secret.

Posted by Leione on Jul 16, 2014

Maca root is truly a superfood. 100 grams of it contain a whopping 475% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, 300% of copper, 85% of iron, 57% of pota ssium and vitamin B6, 39% of manganese, 29% of dietary fiber, protein, and niacin, 25% of calcium, 21% of riboflavin, as well as essential amino acids and phytosterols. Such a unique composition makes maca root a powerful endocrine system regulator, adaptogen, stress relieving and immune system boosting agent. No surprise it was revered by the ancient Incas. Maca root is great for treating hormone imbalances, hypothyroidism, low energy levels, anemia, menopause and menstrual disorders, osteoporosis, arthritis, rheumatism, stress, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, leukemia, tuberculosis, stomach cancer, infertility, and even HIV/AIDS. Maca root contains unique alkaloids that stimulate the hypothalamus and pituitary gland to better balance the entire endocrine system, boost and strengthen the immune system, increase energy levels, relieve the symptoms of stress and depression, help maintain healthy bones, joints, teeth, and even reduce the risk of cancer. But maca root is a very powerful product and can cause side effects in some individuals, so it should be taken in moderation. It is a fiber-rich vegetable composed of 25% fibers (oligosaccahrides, cellulose, lignins) and contains goitrogens (goitrogenic glycosides, or glucosinolates), which have some anti-nutritive effects and can cause stomach cramps, indigestion, and thyroid and hormonal issues in people with hormone-sensitive conditions, such as breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids. These goitrogens are neutralized by cooking (in Peru it's always cooked) or starch gelatinization, which makes maca root powder a slightly concentrated and easily digestible product. Starch gelatinization is a simple process that involves heating starches in the presence of water, with the aim of gelatinizing the starches. Gelatinization of maca powder involves gentle heat combined with water, which opens up the starch molecules, softens cellulose and disperses many of the soluble fibers. In addition to making maca's alkaloids more bioavailable, it also deactivates myrosinase enzyme, making it so the goitrogens in maca are not metabolized. So, if you're prone to indigestion and stomach cramps, it's best to try the gelatinized version of this product. This organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free raw maca powder really works for me: since I started taking a teaspoon of this product daily, I haven't noticed any side effects, and it makes me more active and energetic. It has a slightly bitter taste, but goes well with yogurt, smoothies, shakes, cereal, granola, tea, coffee, chocolate, and great in cookies, pancakes, and muffins. Maca's flavor blends well with different fruits, berries, nuts, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. I would definitely recommend it. It's worth trying.

Yummy and effective

Posted by Reviewer2460963 on May 30, 2008

I first started taking Maca several years ago when I learned it helped with energy/stamina and hormonal issues. I had amenorrhea for years and maca brought my menstrual cycle back! And it's been bang-on every month ever since! I haven't felt much of an energy boost however (I found coconut oil worked here for me!) but I will continue to take Maca since it's definitely made a difference in my hormonal balance! I also looove the taste! I use it like a condiment, sprinkling it liberally over eggs, veggies, anything savory! Navitas scores big points with me because it works and tastes just as good as other higher priced Maca powders!

Great results but some side effects.

Posted by jakuta on Nov 22, 2009

I have been taking this product for about two weeks and have noticed many positive effects on my overall health. I've noticed marked improvement in stamina and a sustained level of alertness and energy throughout the day unlike a quick spike then fall with other stimulants like coffee. In addition, I've noticed less water retention (probably due to balancing of hormonal levels) and an increase in sexual virility. Also muscle strength and fatigue seemed to improve after moderate exercise. These results lead me to believe that Maca has a positive effect on testosterone production. For the most part I am pleased with this product's results. However, this product gave me lots of gas and constipation. Not a good sign when introducing a new supplement or food to your diet. I tried decreasing the dosage to half a teaspoon but to no avail. I did a little research and found that the indigenous people of South America who use Maca almost never eat it raw but in some cooked form. A Ha! I then cooked a bit of the Maca powder on the stove with some water and made a sort of paste which I then added to smoothies. I still had some gas and constipation but this seemed to lessen a bit. However, by cooking the powder, it gave the Maca a chemical smell that I found unappealing. So in conclusion, if you have a sensitive digestive system like me you may want to try an extractive form of Maca like I will be doing or add this powder to cooked recipes (i.e cookies, hot cereal). This raw form of Maca has a butterscotch smell and taste to it. *One final note* Refrigeration of this product, although not recommended on the package, might be a good idea. I gave a friend a small amount to try in a Ziploc bag and he informed me that in a few days it had molded and he had to discard it.