Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Helps keep me on the up and up

Posted by diyhealthhunter on Jul 22, 2012

For the past year I have been taking 5-HTP combo with St. Johns wort. I find it relatively hard to explain the positive effects when taking it. The effects of not taking it are what I am aware of. I take it with such regularity I kind of forgot how I used to feel. Was kind of like waking up with it being overcast outside each day. Now even when it is overcast it is partly cloudy at worst and usually partly sunny in my mind. Yes diet, sleep, keeping hydrated etc...all play a part in mental health. I have just noticed that if I forget to take or stop taking for a few days (which i like to do to make sure everything is doing its job) things begin to be less than optimal. I take other things but nothing in that window after digestive enzymes at dinner and when I wake in the morning. I can tell the difference without more so than taking it constantly. I think after time your body gets its levels/base line up and it takes a few days of not having something for it to drop off again. I think it is worth a shot, I found St. Johns wort as a stand alone to be less than effective, together it works for me. I don't take any meds/pharmies nor do I drink etc...so I am fairly in tune with being able to monitor how my body reacts.

Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by Reviewer3262380 on Sep 08, 2013

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.

مفيد لتحسين الحالة المزاجية

Posted by Hani-Abdel-Kader on Apr 23, 2014

كصيدلى و معالج بالطب الطبيعى أنصح باستخدام هذا المنتج لتحسين الحالة المزاجية لانه مصدر طبيعى للسيروتونين و هو الهرمون المسئول عن تحسين الحالة المزاجية و يطلق عليه هرمون السعادة .. و يصلح كبديل للادوية المضادة للاكتئاب و التى لها اعرض جانبية كثيرة خاصة عندما يتوقف المريض عن استعمالها .. لا ينصح باستعمال هذا المنتج مع اى ادوية مضادة للاكتئاب و يجب استشارة الطبيب أولا .. المنتج قد يسبب نعاسا لذلك يجب تناوله مساء قبل النوم ... لو وجدت هذا التقييم مفيد لك فرجاء النقر على "نعم" و قراءة باقى تقييماتى .. و شكرا

Great product

Posted by TheSoulfulSpoon on Aug 18, 2012

This product is a must have for me. I have battled with depression and overeating all my life and this product WORKS> it does not simply make you not hungry, but gives you a more positive outlook and really takes the "blues" feelings away that can lead to a crummy eating lifestyle and depression proned activities like overeating. I take 2 in the morning before breakfast and 2 before dinner. I also sleep better too.

So far so good.

Posted by Reviewer3155280 on Sep 16, 2011

I actually feel good on it. Been on st johns and that didn't do much for me. I like it!!! Puts me in a better mood. But, doesn't help w sleep for me though. Price is good too.