Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by Reviewer3262380 on Sep 08, 2013

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.

Very Bad Dreams

Posted by Reviewer2251109 on May 01, 2009

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.

Perfect

Posted by Reviewer1411287 on Mar 30, 2009

This stuff has saved my life! No more synthetic, doctor-prescribed, side affect ridden junk for me! My seretonin is balanced, my energy is back, my drive and zest for life has returned and I couldn't be more pleased with the fact that it's MUCH cheaper than the doctor's prescription!!!

Healthy Seep and Attitude

Posted by Reviewer2527911 on Jul 22, 2008

Wonderful for people that love a good nights sleep and , a positive mood, wake up feeling refreshed. After years on this..and having tried other brands this brand and one other are heads above the others. Some may as well be empty capsules. An adult male can take 3-4 each night . there are no problems.. A great addition for anyone. Mainer

Anti-Anxiety

Posted by Reviewer1964602 on Jan 15, 2008

Reduces anxiety, no side-effects. Throw away those anti-depressants, like prozac