Very Bad Dreams

Posted by Reviewer2251109 on May 01, 2009

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.

Mood booster

Posted by Reviewer2260552 on May 08, 2009

I've taken this supplement for years to fight depression and boost my mood. Despite the advice on the label I take it on an empty stomach in the morning with my morning coffee. The coffee seems to have a synergetic effect with the 5-htp. In the winter I often take it in the afternoon with coffee. If I take it before bed (without coffee!) I find it energizes me, disturbing my sleep.

Good product

Posted by Reviewer3165449 on Feb 21, 2009

This is the third time I have ordered this product. I have found that it really does work for my depression symptoms at a dose of 300 mg. a day. It does not help me sleep, however. Everyone is different and friends of mine have said it makes them too sleepy during the day. It is worth trying if you suffer from mild to moderate depression and don't want to take prescription antidepressant drugs.

Now Foods 5-HtP

Posted by Reviewer3302269 on Jun 10, 2011

The price is very good compared to other brands. I have a lot of all-over myofacial pain probably from Fibro and other conditions. I weaned off of an antidepressant that helped with pain because that drug was causing me anxiety. The 5-HTP helped keep that general pain away and helped me to sleep much better. My mood seems to be much more even too. I switched briefly to L-tryptophan, thinking it would be more direct, but it didn't work and all the symptoms came back until I went back on 5-HTP. 'Now' 5-HTP does not have Magnesium Stearate, which some research shows can cause supplements to be ineffective-also a plus if that research is true.

Best of the natural antidepressants..

Posted by Reviewer3119327 on Dec 06, 2009

..at least for me and I've tried most of them like RHodiola, b vitamins etc. Takes a few weeks to really get the best effects so keep taking it if you're blue.