Great product

Posted by TheSoulfulSpoon on Aug 18, 2012

This product is a must have for me. I have battled with depression and overeating all my life and this product WORKS> it does not simply make you not hungry, but gives you a more positive outlook and really takes the "blues" feelings away that can lead to a crummy eating lifestyle and depression proned activities like overeating. I take 2 in the morning before breakfast and 2 before dinner. I also sleep better too.

Not very effective.

Posted by Reviewer3220333 on Nov 17, 2011

This doesn't help me to sleep whether I take it 30mins, one hour or one and a half hours before my sleep. The closer to my bedtime I take it, the more likely I will taste a bitterness in the back of my throat after I lie down on the bed for a while. I really wanted it to work.

The best 5HTP

Posted by Reviewer3260068 on May 16, 2009

I love this 5HTP. I've tried all the others, including enteric coated, but I always come back to this one. I've probably been taking it for about 4 years now every night. I find that taking one 100mg tablet when I go to bed works best for me. About half an hour later I feel very sleepy and drop off. I've tried higher doses, i've tried taking it through the day, but this dose is my optimal dose. If I dont take it I start to feel sad during the day (I initially took it for sleep). I think i'll be taking it forever now.

Serotonin Dreams

Posted by Reviewer3094803 on Feb 05, 2007

Great product. What they don't tell you about is that with 5HTP, especially when you first start using it, you remember your dreams when you wake up. Amazing stuff. And if you want to increase the effectiveness of 5HTP add about 50mg of Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate.

I didn't get good results with NOW.

Posted by Reviewer1349105 on Dec 20, 2007

I've used 3 different brands of 5-HTP and I got wonderful results from two of the three. NOW was the one I didn't like because I didn't get anything from it. I took Solaray and Vita-Herb brands and they both have helped tremendously with my anxiety. I personally don't recommend NOW's 5-HTP.

Helps Ease Anxiety and OCD Thoughts and Rituals

Posted by rabbit on Aug 30, 2012

I have taken this brand of 5-HTP for years and it has greatly improved my quality of life. It cured my insomnia and I am now able to sleep through the night. It has helped immensely in lessening my depression. It also helps ease anxiety as well as OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) thoughts and rituals. In some ways, it works immediately - The first time that I took the 5-HTP, in about 30 minutes, I felt euphoric - happy, relaxed, and sleepy. I slept through the night, and still do. It was a relief to know that it worked that fast. It takes maybe three to four weeks to notice more permanent changes in mood, like an all-day improvement in depression, instead of the immediate effect that it has after you take it because it is leveling out the seratonin/melatonin levels in the brain. In regard to my OCD, I notice that I have fewer intrusive thoughts and feel less of a need to constantly check things to ensure that they feel right. 5-HTP has been compared to traditional anti-depressants, with relatively no side effects. For a week or two you may have intense and vivid dreams. I also had increased headaches for the first week or two, but after that it significantly reduced my migraines. I take only one capsule (100 mg) a day at night before bed. (The recommended time to take it is about a half hour to an hour before bedtime.) I fully recommend this product because it really has done wonders for me.

Elizabeth

Posted by Reviewer1925079 on Nov 13, 2007

I have used this product for more than 5 years, it took away all my depression, and craving for carbs. I am happy and my weight is 40 lbs less. There are no side effects, I take 500 mg daily.

GABA and 5-HTP - good choices

Posted by Reviewer2252099 on Jul 22, 2009

I have been taking the GABA 750 mg every night before bed along with 5-HTP 100 mg. I find I sleep better and feel calmer the next morning.

A good one but the effects are short lasting

Posted by 5279111227043442885 on Apr 21, 2016

I have never been taking this supplement and since I work in a healthy food store where we sell these kind of stuff I got to know this product. In my country (Croatia, Europe) this product is very expensive so I am happy that we have iHerb where everything is not that expensive. This product is no miracle but it will help you to become calm and your thoughts will be easy flowing. I noticed that it takes around 30-60 minutes for HTP to start working in your brain. The feeling is similiar when you are done with gym workout and you feel like you are on a cloud, and dont give a heck about anything. I also noticed that I want to sing when I take it :) The negative side is that the effects of the pill last 2-3 hours. Also dont take more than one pill at a time because it will increase anxiety and negative thoughts. I dont suffer from any mental condition that would require for me to take HTP but I took it out of curiosity. Summary, it is pretty decent product that will help you through a stresfull day but the effects are not long enough. Greets from beautiful Croatia :)

Sandy Wilhelm

Posted by Reviewer1656423 on Jul 25, 2008

I used 5-HTP while on a cleanse to get rid of carb cravings. I was afraid of withdrawal since i reduced carbs a lot a few times, and went into the "black hole" with depression. I remember someone warning me about that, and had some carbs and pulled out of it, but it's not a place i'd ever want to go. So I thought i'd try this with my cleanse, and I had no problems with carb cravings at all. I was amazed. I know my brother-in-law uses it for depression of some sort, and his family says he is a different person. His whole attitude is better, and they can get along with him. He is willing to take this, but he would take his medication like he was supposed to so this was a real blessing for him.