A good one but the effects are short lasting

Posted by 5279111227043442885 on Apr 21, 2016

I have never been taking this supplement and since I work in a healthy food store where we sell these kind of stuff I got to know this product. In my country (Croatia, Europe) this product is very expensive so I am happy that we have iHerb where everything is not that expensive. This product is no miracle but it will help you to become calm and your thoughts will be easy flowing. I noticed that it takes around 30-60 minutes for HTP to start working in your brain. The feeling is similiar when you are done with gym workout and you feel like you are on a cloud, and dont give a heck about anything. I also noticed that I want to sing when I take it :) The negative side is that the effects of the pill last 2-3 hours. Also dont take more than one pill at a time because it will increase anxiety and negative thoughts. I dont suffer from any mental condition that would require for me to take HTP but I took it out of curiosity. Summary, it is pretty decent product that will help you through a stresfull day but the effects are not long enough. Greets from beautiful Croatia :)

Sandy Wilhelm

Posted by Reviewer1656423 on Jul 25, 2008

I used 5-HTP while on a cleanse to get rid of carb cravings. I was afraid of withdrawal since i reduced carbs a lot a few times, and went into the "black hole" with depression. I remember someone warning me about that, and had some carbs and pulled out of it, but it's not a place i'd ever want to go. So I thought i'd try this with my cleanse, and I had no problems with carb cravings at all. I was amazed. I know my brother-in-law uses it for depression of some sort, and his family says he is a different person. His whole attitude is better, and they can get along with him. He is willing to take this, but he would take his medication like he was supposed to so this was a real blessing for him.

Disappointed....

Posted by Reviewer2062658 on Apr 09, 2008

I am taking this along with GABA and L-Theanine to help me sleep - but it is not working.

Didn't work for me

Posted by Reviewer2207155 on Feb 22, 2010

After reading many reviews, I thought this would be great to treat my Seasonal Affective Disorder depression and anxiety. I followed the directions and only took 1 pill before bedtime. I still woke in the middle of the night and then feel drowsy throughout the whole day. Make sure you read about side effects and possible dangers before taking.

Side Effects

Posted by Reviewer1840608 on Jan 04, 2011

I have been taking 5-HTP - one a day - and have been experiencing side effects...gas and bloating. I eliminated other supplements one by one and it was not until I stopped taking 5HTP that my symptoms disappeared. It sometimes helped me with sleeping but the effects kept me up anyway. I find many other side effects from research on the internet and wish I had taken time to do so besides reading the reviews on iHerb.

Helps with sleep and dreaming!

Posted by Reviewer2253579 on Mar 07, 2008

This helps with deep sleep (I don't seem to thrash at all now), dreaming, and it also seems to help elevate mood.

5 HTP finally got me off Zoloft

Posted by Reviewer2088538 on May 07, 2010

I took Zoloft/Sertraline for more than 15 years (since it was first introduced for depression), and though I'd try before to get off it, I couldn't kick what experts now know is a VERY addictive drug. With the help of excellent advice on gradual step-down from Zoloft (halving the dose of 100mg per day over 3.5 months), I became Zoloft-free ~4 weeks ago and have been taking 5 HTP at 100mg per day instead. The improvement in mood has been gradual but I am starting to feel better, less melancholy, more energetic, and less agitated. As I have a long and difficult history of moderate to severe clinical depression, I will increase the daily dose of 5 HTP to 200mg per day to see if that helps. I've read volumes on the topic of using supplements to treat depression and have also added a daily dose of lecithin (NOW granules in my smoothie), Vitamin D (gelcaps), inositol, and B-Complex. Though this may sound like a lot, all these supplements help to improve brain chemistry as it relates to depression. I hope this helps someone else struggling with this life-limiting disorder. Be well!

Herbs Are The Greatest

Posted by Reviewer3315506 on Feb 18, 2007

Works very well. I Use Gaba with this product as well. Alternative Doctor Suggested To me & it Does wonders..Is much better than sleeping pills & drugs that leave you with drug hangovers..With both of these it takes away lots of depression.Hope it works as well for you as me .. Thanks Donnie

Excellent product

Posted by Reviewer3271529 on Feb 23, 2008

Love this product. I take it with Now's L-tyrosine and the combo works wonders for me.

Good value

Posted by Reviewer2948475 on Jul 06, 2008

This is 1/4 the price of our 5-htp products here in NewZealand, so well worth it.