Now Foods, Calcium Carbonate, 100% Pure Powder, 12 oz (340 g)

Simple tried-and-true form of calcium.

Posted by Reviewer2332442 on Jul 20, 2010

It's what is in Tums and similar, but without any flavorings etc. For me its use is as a reputedly absorbable type of calcium, but the antacid property is mild side benefit (counteracting the acidity of decaf coffee that also goes into my protein shake concoctions). My prior choice of pure calcium carbonate powder, Life Extension brand - I have only found these two brands of it - has a bit of grit to it... unwelcome. So this one is a surprise winner.

Excellent

Posted by Reviewer2310634 on Aug 03, 2010

I purchased this for my kitty. ... He has a peptic ulcer and was prescribed a PPI to reduce stomach acid while the ulcer heals, but the PPI doesn't work 100% of the time so we needed something additional to neutralize acid. ... We started with TUMS but the additional ingredients were unacceptable -- we couldn't risk that one of them might be harmful to our kitty or might trigger vomiting, which greatly stifles healing. ... We needed pure calcium carbonate. ... We checked every store around and the closest thing we could find was a bottle of calcium tablets that also contained additional ingredients. ... We eventually decided to check the internet and we found this "now" supplement which is perfect. ... It's 100% pure and extremely finely ground, making it very easy to dissolve in liquid or liquidy food, and also allowing for very fast acid neutralization. .... Plus the price is great and shipping from iherb was fast.

Good product

Posted by Reviewer2905880 on Jul 17, 2008

Tasteless and does the job. Keeps fresh for long time in bottle.

Inexpensive ingredient for improving flavor and nutrition of foods / beverages

Posted by Reviewer3168863 on Jul 11, 2013

It has a neutralizing effect on coffee's chlorogenic acid. So I use approx 1/32 tsp per 10 fl oz serving of black coffee in order to remove some of the acidic sharpness. It can also help to complex the phytic acid (an anti-nutrient) present in whole grain hot cereals, such as oatmeal. That helps to prevent the grains' minerals from being rendered unabsorbable.

Works Great, Almost Too Good

Posted by Reviewer1694429 on Apr 06, 2011

I'm allergic or intolerant of citrates. I take a small amount of this stuff before bed and I sleep great. If you don't eat dairy foods, or any of the few other rich sources of calcium, consider this product.