Fair Substitute for Cocoa Powder

Posted by Reviewer2509874 on Jun 05, 2009

Substitute for cocoa in chocolate cake. Use a full cup for a 2-layer cake if you want that sinfully-rich effect. However, be prepared to really play with a classic cake recipe to get a chocolatey flavor. Use less sugar, because carob is sweeter than cocoa. Add acidity and bitterness, because believe it or not, part of what chocoholics love about chocolate is that it has very complex components like that. I add sour cream and a tablespoon of instant coffee, then blend super-well. Remember, you can always use decaffeinated coffee.

Absolutely delicious

Posted by Reviewer1632918 on Nov 09, 2009

I have tried a few other carob powders but that is the best of all.The flavor is just amazing.Thank you so much

rancid

Posted by Reviewer2492424 on Feb 28, 2012

I added stevia and milk but it was rancid -- had to throw out the entire bottle. I like Now Foods products, but after literally gagging on this one I'll definitely never buy this product again.

Great flavor

Posted by Reviewer2392378 on Jun 07, 2010

I love carob, and I was very impressed with this brand. If you expect carob to be the same as chocolate, it's not. It's much more "malty" and can be substituted where you'd use cocoa powder, but definitely isn't the same. I actually prefer carob to cocoa (no caffeine jitters!) and would definitely buy this brand again.

This does not taste good

Posted by Reviewer1036837 on May 08, 2011

I use a tiny bit when making chocolate, but you don´t need this. Tastes aweful on it´s own.

Burned flavour

Posted by Reviewer1387129 on Jul 04, 2011

I did not really like this. It had a burned flavour that I didnt care for.

Dislike

Posted by 5086000493235481712 on May 27, 2013

I have no idea what to do with this stuff. It smells awful, and when i used it instead of cocoa or cacao it tasted horrid.

Horrible stuff

Posted by pickier-than-thou on Feb 25, 2010

The only thing that resembles cocoa is the color. I tried to drink it instead of hot chocolate but it feels and tastes like dirt or clay with a hint of cheap expired coffee - no way I could swallow that. Lucky me, I've spoiled my favorite cookie recipe with it as well!

Very good!!

Posted by Reviewer1947666 on Sep 21, 2009

I have used this carob powder for brownies and it is very good. It blends well and has a very pleasant flavor. Since I am allergic to chocolate, I am delighted to find such an awesome alternative through iHerb. And of course, iHerb's service is excellent!!

very good

Posted by Reviewer2417783 on Oct 13, 2010

very good. its like cacao powder. can use it in cake, hot chocolate or anywhere else. good good good =)