Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Now Foods, L-Tryptophan, 500 mg, 120 Veggie Caps

Reviews 5-star

Best natural anti depressant!

Posted by Reviewer2193674 on Jan 24, 2009

Have been using this for a couple of years as a natural anti depressant. NO SIDE EFFECTS and is not addictive like prescription meds. I work in a health food store and recommend this to customers looking for mood support, appetite control, sleep aid, etc.

sleep aid

Posted by Reviewer2796695 on May 28, 2008

I used Drs. Best and loved it, they doubled the price recently so I tried this and this is just as good at a lower price, plus I don't have to try and dissolve powders as it is in capsule form

Very pleased - Take with Vitamin B6 P-5-P for maximum results.

Posted by Reviewer1990660 on May 04, 2010

I love L-Tryptophan!! It's been really nice for my anxiety and depression. I'm weaning off Celexa and Valium and this has been allowing me to do so without flipping out. (IMPORTANT: Be sure to consult your physician before taking this with any anti-depressant as the combo can be toxic!) The first couple doses did make me a bit tired during the day but my body adjusted and now the tiredness has turned into a general calm. I definitely notice when I forget to take these regularly. For best effects, take these either an empty stomach or with some complex carbs. Do not take with protein or shortly before or after eating protein. Also Vitamin B6 P-5-P (Pridoxal 5' Phosphate) is essential for maximum absorption, not only for L-Tryptophan but many other amino acids. Chances are your Vitamin B Complex does NOT have the P-5-P version of B6. Mine didn't and I had to order it separately, but it was well worth it! I could really tell the difference in effectiveness!

It really works!

Posted by 5670360866224921779 on Jun 29, 2013

You sleep like a baby and don`t have a hangover the next day. I am really surprised. I have tried melatonin supplement before and it didn't work for me. But this one works miracles.

Helps me sleep and wake up happy

Posted by danarm on Jul 17, 2013

Tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin (the happy hormone) and melatonin (the sleep hormone). So, if you take it, your brain will make both melatonin (to help you fall asleep) and serotonin (to make you happy). I take 4-6 pills (2-3 grams) of Tryptophan every night. It gets me to sleep and keeps me sleeping better than Melatonin. I wake up happy and energetic as a result of serotonin production. It also produces sleep entrainment (if you take it at 10 PM, you will fall asleep at 10-11 PM, even if you stop taking it). After some time, it loses it's effect, and I have to switch to something else periodically. This is because there are some enzymes which break down tryptophan. The normal quantity of Trypthopan taken in through diet is 1.5-2 g. May reduce carbohydrate consumption. Most people overeat carbohydrates because carbs help tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). When obese patients were given 1,000 mg, 2,000 mg, or 3,000 mg doses of L-tryptophan one hour before meals to raise the amount of tryptophan, a significant decrease in caloric consumption was observed. The majority of the reduction in caloric intake was due to the amount of carbohydrates, not protein, consumed.