Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Now Foods, Pyruvate, 1000 mg, 90 Tablets

Reviews 1-star

NOTE: For better results, check vitamin B1/iodine intake, and/or consider manganese's role in fat loss - the "Anti-Pear-Shape" mineral

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Dec 24, 2013

I didn't buy this for fat loss, but to take a break from calcium citrate. People who do gain energy/lose weight - could just be deficient in calcium. Anyone trying this for fat loss would likely get better results from dicalcium phosphate and vitamin B1 - thiamine diphosphate is an essential cofactor of transketolase, along with calcium. Transketolase connects the pentose phosphate pathway to glycolysis, feeding excess sugar phosphates into the main carbohydrate metabolic pathways. Its presence is necessary for the production of NADPH, especially in tissues actively engaged in biosyntheses, such as fatty acid synthesis by the liver and mammary glands, and for steroid synthesis by the liver and adrenal glands. HOWEVER - if calcium (and B1) hasn't worked for you, then consider manganese - essential for thyroid health and known as the "Anti-Pear-Shape" mineral, it's involved in fat metabolism and helps reduce weight gain on the hips and thighs. Deficiency causes fatty liver, resulting in the generation of lipid peroxides and fat gain around the waist. Calcium (and B1) are manganese antagonists - calcium supplementation may work for some people because it's also helping to lower high manganese (which when high, is very estrogenic, can lead to low thyroid and therefore weight gain). Lastly - suggest always ensuring you're meeting RDI for iodine. This calcium supplement gave me diarrhea - other calcium doesn't, therefore I won't buy it again. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

May have a tiny bit of gluten?-Makes me pretty sick

Posted by Reviewer1814780 on Jan 29, 2014

Disappointing. Took for about a week, and didn't feel well that whole time-- burping, and felt like there was a rock in my stomach. Stopped taking and the symptoms went away. Tried again today and chewed it up really well versus taking the whole tablet, but got same symptoms. Now that I read the description again, it does say it's "manufactured in a plant that does". I really think there's a little gluten in these, which is kind of a shock--I'm used to using NOW for almost everything. But my symptoms are some of my glutened-symptoms. Please note: I am EXTREMELY sensitive, so these may not bother you, even if I'm right.

Don like!

Posted by Reviewer3028835 on Jun 08, 2011

I start to use and first week I was feeling all the times hungry :( stop using :(Not for me...