Very useful

Posted by Reviewer1783842 on Jul 22, 2010

I use this instead of sugar in small amounts only and cannot tell the difference between this and sugar. I also use it in solution as a nasal wash - it is supposed to control bacteria.

Xylitol Rocks!

Posted by Reviewer2579588 on Jan 24, 2011

This product is WONDERFUL! I gave up table sugar to to improve my health and lose weight. Xylitol is better to stabilize blood sugar and has many dental benefits, too. I completely replaced table sugar with Xylitol. I carry it with me to work and to restaurants-everywhere. It tastes like sugar, but it is so much healthier. NOW is a high quality brand, and iHerb is a dependable company with reasonable prices. I have already ordered more.

trying to outsmart nature - it's just not worth it

Posted by Reviewer2994189 on Nov 21, 2012

I'm sure if you want Xylitol this item is fine; however I found when I consumed a lot of it, it greatly upset my normal intestinal flora (as it has an antibacterial effect, likely it was killing off the good things in my gut) and it has taken a long time, several weeks, getting back to normal. I won't be able to finish this bag nor will I let my husband consume it after this experiment on myself. Also, it is NOT very sweet, so you have to use a lot of it to get a decent effect; and at this price per pound it is just not worth it. Likely I will go back to regular sugar for baking and use either stevia or sugar for my coffee (price of xylitol makes organic sugar prices look like a bargain). Reading up on cooking sugar free, you will learn that it is the physical characteristics of sugar, not just the sweetness, that are important in baked goods, especially cookies and such that have a large percentage of sugar in them. Xylitol works similarly to sugar in this way because it has the same body and texture and you can bake with it, but with a lower sweetness value you may have to use more or supplement it with other sweeteners, and with a questionable effect on one's flora as well as severe (usually fatal) toxicity to dogs, it has a lot of drawbacks, in addition to the high cost. I know we all try to outsmart nature by using artificial or alternate sweeteners, but doing this usually comes back to bite us in the rear with unintended and dangerous consequences. Stick to real sugar, and as with all things, use it in moderation (it is helpful to increase fiber and protein in baked goods to make them more satisfying while also blunting the glycemic effect of the sugar). And in the end, nothing beats good old willpower for losing weight. Dad always said, everything has zero calories, until you eat it.

From Australia

Posted by Reviewer1262249 on Sep 02, 2011

Have used in raw food preparation and is a good sweetener.

use this every day

Posted by alloriginal on Jan 23, 2016

I've tried to give up sugar, with some success, but I MUST have sugar in my coffee! The artificial sweeteners all taste strange to me. This fits the bill nicely. Looks, feels and tastes just like sugar. It imparts a rather pleasant after-taste too. I strongly recommend this to anyone who will listen!