Now Foods, Real Food, Xylitol, 1 lb (454 g)

Great

Posted by Reviewer1807321 From Indiana on Nov 25, 2008

I only use Xylitol for sweetner now. What I've read is that this is the only sweetner that does not mess with blood sugar readings. Great product!

OK

Posted by MikeMember From Japan on Nov 02, 2008

good value

trying to outsmart nature - it's just not worth it

Posted by Reviewer2994189 From Texas on Nov 21, 2012

I'm sure if you want Xylitol this item is fine; however I found when I consumed a lot of it, it greatly upset my normal intestinal flora (as it has an antibacterial effect, likely it was killing off the good things in my gut) and it has taken a long time, several weeks, getting back to normal. I won't be able to finish this bag nor will I let my husband consume it after this experiment on myself. Also, it is NOT very sweet, so you have to use a lot of it to get a decent effect; and at this price per pound it is just not worth it. Likely I will go back to regular sugar for baking and use either stevia or sugar for my coffee (price of xylitol makes organic sugar prices look like a bargain). Reading up on cooking sugar free, you will learn that it is the physical characteristics of sugar, not just the sweetness, that are important in baked goods, especially cookies and such that have a large percentage of sugar in them. Xylitol works similarly to sugar in this way because it has the same body and texture and you can bake with it, but with a lower sweetness value you may have to use more or supplement it with other sweeteners, and with a questionable effect on one's flora as well as severe (usually fatal) toxicity to dogs, it has a lot of drawbacks, in addition to the high cost. I know we all try to outsmart nature by using artificial or alternate sweeteners, but doing this usually comes back to bite us in the rear with unintended and dangerous consequences. Stick to real sugar, and as with all things, use it in moderation (it is helpful to increase fiber and protein in baked goods to make them more satisfying while also blunting the glycemic effect of the sugar). And in the end, nothing beats good old willpower for losing weight. Dad always said, everything has zero calories, until you eat it.

Didn't seem to improve/alieviate dental condition

Posted by Reviewer1752018 From Korea, Republic of on Dec 05, 2013

To be honest, I purchased this product more for the dental reason. I don't think xylitol water is as helpful as chewing a xylitol gum. Granted, it doesn't leave that unpleasant aftertaste like sugar, but I don't think it did anything for my teeth ( theyonly looked worse so I eventually had to stop drinking xylitol water). My biggest mistake was brushing teeth with soap and then rinsing with xylitol water as mouthwash (I thought that would help replenishing the enamel as well as deeper layer) - which I highly do not recommend. Another thing I didn't like about this product (it must have been mentioned on the product detail page of this product) is that it has been derived from corn.

Made my tummy hurt

Posted by Reviewer1682184 From California on Apr 19, 2011

I guess I'm one of the people who's sensitive to this. I used a heaping teaspoon in my tea in the mornings, but only for a couple of weeks. Once I realized it might be the thing making my stomach hurt so much, I left it off and got much better in a couple of days. As for the taste, it was fine.